TIME

johnny_t said:
Our use of Daylight Saving Time is synchronised across Europe, but is usually one or two weeks out compared to when the Americans change dates. I work for a company in Maryland, and it always catches me out for those weeks when there is a 4 or 6 hour difference.

Also, not all the states use it. Arizona, for instance is sometimes an hour ahead of Nevada, and sometimes the same.

I may be wrong, but besides not all the states observing it (DST), there is also the matter of different time zones....my state Tennessee is in the CST (central time) and we are an hour behind ...let's say Georgia which is on EST (eastern time)....so it's a sort of double whammy depending where you are traveling :confused:

Sponsored Links
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving]LINK[/url] said:
USA
Starting March 11, 2007, daylight saving time will be extended another four to five weeks, from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November. The change was introduced by the Energy Policy Act of 2005; the House had originally approved a motion that would have extended DST even further from the first Sunday in March to the last Sunday in November. Proponents claimed that the extension would save "the equivalent of" 10,000 barrels of oil per day, but this figure was based on U.S. Department of Energy information from the 1970s, the accuracy and relevance of which the DoE no longer stands by. There is very little recent research on what the actual positive effects, if any, might be.

The extension was greeted with criticism by the airline industry and those concerned for the safety of children traveling to school in the dark before the late sunrise. If the original proposal to extend daylight saving time through the last Sunday in November had been adopted, the entire United States with the exception of the states that exempted themselves, would have experienced the latest sunrises of the year during the month of November.
An additional issue raised by this extension is that it may require the reconfiguration of some computers. Many computers are programmed to adjust automatically for DST, but do so based on static tables stored directly on the computer itself. In order to change the dates and times at which the automatic jump to or from DST occurs, these tables must be modified, or the user must manually specify that the computer's clock should operate in Daylight Saving Time mode. One potential issue related to this (though difficult to quantify) is the amount of labor and money that may be spent correcting errors that arise due to a failure to update computers. Certain types of information systems (those that schedule future events with reference to UTC, for example) may encounter problems arising from a lack of synchronization unless both computers and databases are carefully updated.

And here is some real life changing info........
Arizona
Most of Arizona does not observe DST. However, the large Navajo Indian Reservation, which extends from Arizona into two adjacent states, does. The Hopi Indian Reservation, surrounded by the Navajo reservation but entirely in Arizona, does not

Nothing like keeping it simple !

Good old Wiki :LOL:
:D :D :D

mlb3c said:
my state Tennessee is in the CST (central time) and we are an hour behind ...let's say Georgia which is on EST (eastern time)

Ha, that's nothing those in Yorkshire are on YST (Yorkshire standard time) to which GMT and BST are aligned. Lancashire however is on LST (Lancashire standard time) which amazingly is 3 centuries behind YST !

Sponsored Links
Eddie M
Yorkshire standard time...lol

securespark

dont worry them yorkies are just bitter an twisted about not being born in Lancashire ....lol :) :) ;)

its officially referred to as british summer time. it was first introduced during the first world war to help increase productivity from farmers and factory workers. In the second world war they used double british summer time whereby the clock went forward by 2 hours.

markie said:
Don't forget people the clocks go forward to night ;)
I only changed 3 clocks today. THREE. Yet I have seen about 10 and not needed to change them.

Alarm clock - radio ctrld
car - i changed
computer - automatic
cctv at work - was wrong when i arrived but mysteriously changed at about 9am :eek:
tills at work - automatic
clock on cig gantry - i changed.
computer at work - auto
light and fridge clocks in cellar - i changed

BST/GMT change is much less of a chore than it used to be, for sure!

Sponsored Links
Back