New APT Immersion Timeswitch Heater Won't Switch On

How did this sound - its just a heater in the tank ? Not sure what you would hear , but never listened closely

It's usually a humming sound, like air is circulating fast if that makes sense. I have attached photos of where this sound usually comes from.

Whats a HOT PRESS?

How long has it been left 'ON" for - our immersion takes a while to heat up a small tank, probably a couple of hours to get hot.

Not sure i understand that either
If an Immersion it just heats a tank of water - I suspect after 1/2hour it maybe warm not as cold as the cold tap.

Hot press is where we have our hot water tank and washed clothes we want to dry. Not sure what's the name for it outside Ireland.

Problem is after half an hour nothing was warm, the water, hot water tank and radiators were all still cold. With our old switch it only took half an hour at most to heat them all.

Was the timer set to run ALL night then , and no hot this morning ?

maybe best if its set to heating on "ON" with Neon ON and after a few hours, water should be at least warm, depending on Temp Setting on thermostat , if has one - and as posted maybe it needs a reset

It was on CLOCK and set to a time this morning set by the electrician at my request, but it never went on this morning.

We never used to leave our old switch ON for any more than an hour as we were warm enough after that, and didn't want to be spending too much on oil. Should I leave the switch to ON for a few hours?

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_154905.jpg
    IMG_20211114_154905.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20211114_154917.jpg
    IMG_20211114_154917.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
So I had my electrician fit and install a new immersion switch yesterday, as the Clock function wasn't working on our old one.
I assumed from the opening post , all this timer did was turn an immersion heater, in a water tank, on/off not actually control a full Oil Fired Central Heating & Water system, I suspect you are hearing the CH Pump, or boiler firing up.

Immersion heater Labelled "(A)"
https://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age14-16/Heat energy/Heat energy/text/Immersion_heaters/index.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The immersion uses oil from our tank to heat the water, radiators and the house.

An immersion heater is an electrical device.

I think you are talking about the hot-water cylinder. Or possibly a boiler.

A hot water cylinder can be heated by a boiler and/or by an immersion heater inside it.

ae235

immersion heater

ae235
ae235

examples of hot-water cylinders

ae235

example of cold-water tank

It's like that one yes. Pardon my ignorance.

Would anyone recommend leaving the immersion on CLOCK all the time or ON for a few hours to see if the heat comes? As I say it used to take no more than half an hour.

In the winter I can turn my domestic hot water heating off, it heats up anyway. The question is really what has gone wrong. We have to remember it is Ireland and you may have systems we are unaware of, but in mainland UK we use the Honeywell Plans. S, W, Y, and C.

We get two port
32455_P
and three port
81844_P
valves S uses in the main 2 x 2 port W and Y uses 3 port, and C often non but some times a 2 port is used. In this
8982G_P
one you can see the manual operating lever and often you can latch the lever open. So it should be simple to find out if the valve at fault.

But as it stands we are guessing, pictures are always good.

It's like that one yes. Pardon my ignorance.

Would anyone recommend leaving the immersion on CLOCK all the time or ON for a few hours to see if the heat comes? As I say it used to take no more than half an hour.

Have a look at your electricity meter. If it is like ours, it has either a spinning wheel or a flashing light, depending on age. The more electricity you use the faster they go. When you turn on the electric immersion heater, it will draw 3kW, so the speed should increase. It heats water at the rate of about 1 litre per minute, so a hundred litres takes about 1 hour 40 mins, after which its internal thermostat should turn it off, until you use some of the hot water.

Give it a try.

The electric immersion heater switch has no effect on the boiler.

But if you have an oil (or gas) boiler, it should never be necessary to turn on the electric immersion heater, unless the boiler is out of action for some reason. Electricity is expensive.

Thanks all for the advice.

Electrician came and found a wire was loose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back