Timer Conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have in the past used the old mechanical timers where you push down a number of pins to set a time period and away you go with your lamp coming on/off whilst your away etc.

I have a new need for one now but not sure it will do the trick.

I want to be able to use one to do a simple task from time to time where I manually set it to come on immediately and then go off 6 hours later and not come on again and continually repeat the task on a daily or weekly basis. A bit like how you can set a microwave to work once for a one off task.

Is it possible to do this? Seems a simple ask but it's got me stumped how I achieve it.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have in the past used the old mechanical timers where you push down a number of pins to set a time period ... I want to be able to use one to do a simple task from time to time where I manually set it to come on immediately and then go off 6 hours later and not come on again and continually repeat the task on a daily or weekly basis. A bit like how you can set a microwave to work once for a one off task. ... Is it possible to do this?
Well, you could do this with one of those mechanical timers (still readily available), with only a little 'fiddling' ...

1...Starting with the timer 'off' (operate manual 'over-ride) control if necessary)
2...Use just one pin to programme one 'off' at, say, 6AM. Do not put any pins into 'on' holes.
3...When you want to start a 6-hours-on period, twiddle the clock setting round to midnight.
4...Operate the manual 'on' switch.

The power will then come on immediately, and will go off 6 hours later. It well never come back 'on', since you have not put any pins into 'on' holes. When you want to do it again, just re-twiddle the clock to midnight and operate the manual 'on' switch/button again.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have in the past used the old mechanical timers where you push down a number of pins to set a time period and away you go with your lamp coming on/off whilst your away etc.

I have a new need for one now but not sure it will do the trick.

I want to be able to use one to do a simple task from time to time where I manually set it to come on immediately and then go off 6 hours later and not come on again and continually repeat the task on a daily or weekly basis. A bit like how you can set a microwave to work once for a one off task.

Is it possible to do this? Seems a simple ask but it's got me stumped how I achieve it.
Thanks
What about one of these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timers/b?ie=UTF8&node=1938312031

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back