Timer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have the below timer switch which doesn’t seem to turn off correctly.

Can this be swapped to one where you push the pins in/out around the circumference or is the one below better? It’s an old flat so not sure if the below is better or worse than others.

1672513443982.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter which type it is - if it works properly.

That one works with pins around the circumference.

I've used that type and they usually work well. It looks as if there are only 4 pins, so you can have two on times set and two off times set each day.

I have used both types extensively and find both give very good service, if anything I prefer the pin type as it's easy to miss one of the little levers being not quite in or out etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Will replace like for like.
This type wasn't so readily available so thought it was old hat

The one I have turns on but not off. Also it says to set the time from the left hand side (9oclock) but seems to switch when the pin gets to the top (12 oclock) for some reason

Thanks

Show us a pic of yours, clearly showing the pins position, please.

Show us a pic of yours, clearly showing the pins position, please.
Yes please

1672576761433.png

There is a marker and showing the time and switching position, are you sure you are using the correct ring, inner for on and outer for off?

There is also a minimum time period of 3/4Hr IIRC

Some versions (presume different make) don't move the little lever across which I found very confusing the first time.

½ hour works fine. One cannot do ¼ hour with that type (without modifying the pins!), since the pin heads are too big to allow it.

Kind Regards, John
I know one can't do 1/4 hour as the mechanism takes that long to prime, been there and tried it with a drill bit, I don't dispute the ½hr, it has been a long time since I've handled one.

I know one can't do 1/4 hour as the mechanism takes that long to prime, been there and tried it with a drill bit, I don't dispute the ½hr, it has been a long time since I've handled one.
Yes, on reflection, I think you're right - I seem to recall having done that experiment, with a 1mm drill bit, in the past (and discovered that it wouldn't work for ¼ hour)..

However, I've just 'done the experiment' with one of mine and, as I suggested, confirmed that ½ hour works fine, with the standard pins.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all

I'm sure mine was clicking over when the pin reached the top

I'll post a photo when i'm next at the flat..

I got it to turn on ok but it failed to turn off when it reached the next pin. I may have set it wrong though so will upload a photo

I've had a little play with an old time switch too. I've found that an on period of ¼hr doesn't happen, it won't go on, however in some positions of the pins (2 drill bits) I can have a ¼hr off period but not in all positions.
So no it can't be used under ½hr, and no I haven't tried ½hr

That is really quite an old type of device and similar products may not now be available, haveing been replaced by devices such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-tcm24-xd-mechanical-plug-in-plug-through-compact-timer/44241 (which can be set to operate down to a 15 minute period)

However, digital plug-in timers are available, which can be set down to a 1 minute period if required, and their price is in the range of little more than twice that of the above timer - if that.
https://www.masterplug.com/downloads/technical_data/timer/TES7-technical-data-sheet.pdf

(Fairly obviously, this is the same as the above digital device - under a different name.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EXTRASTAR-Electronic-Digital-Programmable-Display/dp/B07WV8RKJL?th=1 )

That is really quite an old type of device and similar products may not now be available

£14.85 ex VAT

SMTS900.jpeg

"Timeguard
24 Hour Immersion Heater Timer
Easy to install, economical & convenient,

Specially designed for new and old immersion heater installations.

Economical and convenient the TS900 has been specially designed for installation with both new and existing immersion heater systems.
Incorporating ON/OFF switching programmes plus self cancelling override for instant ON/OFF switching."

My domestic water heating needs around ¼ hour a day with a 19 kW boiler, but the thermo syphon needs around ½ hour to get going, I have no tank thermostat, so only option was ½ hour every other day, so to be able to set it needs a timer with a week not day timer, so my old mechanical timer Danfoss3060programmer.jpg was replaced with an electronic one, in my case Nest Gen 3, however for an immersion heater with a built in thermostat at only 3 kW not 19 kW then 6 x ¼ is an hour and a half, as I found out, once hot the cylinder stays hot for over two days, so only reason for a timer is to use off peak power, OK there is an exception, the Willis system, but that is rare to find on mainland UK, only the Irish seem to have worked out how to use it. We are too tick.

However we have no idea what the timer is used for, I use timers for Christmas lights, and internal lights, mainly see to turn them off should we forget, and I use many different types, some also monitor power used, most in some way connect to the internet.

Although the plug in timer rated at 3 kW not sure I want to use it with 3 kW, and some I use are rather limited, the sockets only have three on/off slots per day, you can select which days of the week they are active for, and also can use IFTTT to get more and clearly are good for 13 amp.

However we have no idea as it stands what the timer is for. I would modify my suggestions depending on what it is used for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back