Tipping topsoil on road - legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am redoing my garden at the moment and through work I might be able to secure a delivery or two of free topsoil that I need for the garden (I need between 10-15 tonnes). I don't have a driveway, so the only option would be to tip the topsoil outside my property, onto the pavement/ road. I live on a quiet street and my house is the last house on the road.

Is it legal to do this, and would I need permits etc? It might be there for a couple of days as it would take a while to shift (I also have stairs to negotiate). I know that people generally do this and don't care, but as its through work I have to make sure that everything is above board.

Opinions/ how do people normally deal with this?

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
Tip it out onto a tarpaulin and just get it shifted as quick as you can. If anyone complains it will probably be gone by the time anyone comes to look.

You might also want to give the neighbour a heads up first.

I agree with the above, but perhaps it would be wise to borrow some cones to place either side of the heap...

Tom

Sponsored Links
HI,

Cheers for responses above but still not quite clear if I can legaly do it or not.

To provide some further background, the project it might be coming from is a council project, and due to my relationship with this project I would need to make it clear to all parties that I was looking to use this topsoil on my own garden (it would currently be going to landfil otherwise, and I need to confirm with my boss that its ok to see if I can use this but others seem to think it is ok to ask).

If it is not legal to tip it on the road I will have to leave it as I cannot risk any problems that might come from doing something 'dodgy'.

Link below is outside my house (last house on the road)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sa...=jZNV8MgQf-BxQtHMfX-vow&cbp=12,92.8,,0,14.52.

It's not going to be legal, no. So you could go to the hassle of trying to get a permit (which I suspect might be quite hard) or just go ahead with the tarpaulin, cones, tell the neighbours (and farmer who owns that track?) and quick-move, as suggested.

That's what I'd do.

OK cheers for the above. If I was ordering topsoil (which i need to do anyway) and paying for it, I would just get it tipped on the road, but its because of the nature of where I am getting it from that I am so concerned.

cheers for input.

If your house is the one i'm thinking of, then just get it dropped mate - you've got acres of space there. We've dropped more than that in less space than that.

Also, in Bristol, to get a road licence for materials is a pretty easy process. Not too much red tape.

We have loads of stuff tipped onto the road, however, we always shift it before lights out.

You would have to treat it similar to a skip being left in the road overnight.

Don't hinder the footpath and park a car either side of the heap and you may be ok.

If you can put a piece of wood or pipe on the kerb edge, then should it rain the water can flow through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back