Tips for buying second hand tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, sorry for crashing your forum. I have been a reader for a little while and it would be great if anyone can help me out with a few tips with regards to buying used machinery and tools.

I am currently in need of band saw for my workshop, and would like to find something online in order to keep down costs. I was wondering what and where I should be looking, and also whether the transaction was a success. I am based in Cardiff but I am able to travel pretty far to pick up.

If you have any information at all it would be hugely appreciated :)
Thanks!
Stan

Sponsored Links
There's some amazing stuff out there courtesy of schools closing, Stan.....lots of gear going for almost scrap price. Worth making some enquiries if you have the transport!
I like Wadkin or Starrett woodworking machinery if you can get them, Boxford or Colchester if you need a lathe.
John :)

Amazing, thanks for your message!

This is this the kind of thing I was hoping for, such as old college equipment etc Do you happen to know if they normally arrange an auction date for these kind of things?

I am thinking about a couple of different woodworking machines and a friend has also recommended Starrett. The name just keeps popping up!

Disposal of machines varies considerably.....if there's a secondary school closing nearby, it's worth popping in and making yourself known.
In my Newcastle area, used machinery firms cleared the lot!

Sponsored Links
I was talking to a chap the other night who works for a big scrap metal company. He travels about I think, but he said that he regularly sees machinery and tools come in as scrap. He said it's a pity. None of those yards are local here, but there are others of course. I was wondering about asking them if they ever get anything. If someone hasn't already got an arrangement of course.
The only other thing that I've tried in the past, with some success for various things, is a wanted ad in the paper.

I am thinking about a couple of different woodworking machines and a friend has also recommended Starrett. The name just keeps popping up!
Starrett make bandsaw blades. They do not make machinery, although they make a lot of metrology equipment (e.g. micometers, vernier callipers, etc).

Edit: I think that Burnerman and yourself mean "Startrite", not Starrett. Worth noting that any "proper" British Startrite table saw will be pre-1987 or so (when Record took over and moved the WW bandsaws and drill press manufacture to Sheffield - the table saws went). Also Startrite were always importers, having sold under their own name at various times SCM, Inca, Harwi and Robland kit (to name but a few). After Record Power took them over most of the heavier kit was bought-in from Italy and possibly eastern Europe and rebadged, although the combi woodworkers were Lurems (French, but not very good). Since 2005 or so the band saws and drill presses haven't been made here (suspect that they are now made in China, the Chiwanese drill presses they sell nowadays certainly aren't as robust or as well made as the old Startrite design formerly made in the UK)

A friend of mine used to look into the local household auctions every week. He had a couple near him. His workshop was mostly set up with buys from there. he reckoned that as they were household sales, there was often gear there that nobody would bid on. He had a Tangye mitre guillotine. A big solid job. I think he gave a pound for it!

What size band saw are you after?
And what is your budget and do you have 3 phase?

And of course always inspect your purchase before you buy.

Screwfix are selling the Startrite DD 352E for £1299 inc VAT.
It weighs 125kg.
Band wheel Dia = 350mm.
Blade length = 2845mm

It can accept a 25mm blade. But whether this machine can actually tension 25mm is another thing.

Hammer UK sell the N3800 for £1362 Inc VAT. And can be picked up cheaper with the promotional price they run every now and then.
It weighs 150kg.
Band wheel dia = 380mm. It will accept 20mm blades.
Blade Length = 3556mm

I have an old Startrite 301E and a Hammer N4400. Can't really make a comparison here fairly as one has the size advantage.
And blade configuration and quality could easily make the little 301E outperform the Hammer.
But I'd be very sceptical about the DD 352E measuring up to the N3800 in terms off engineering quality.

I run a SuperTuff Premium 16mm 3tpi in the N4400.
Slicing thin veneers from 200mm deep oak is like a knife through butter.
And with the Hammer you have the option of the Xlife ceramic guides and the wheel kit.

Starrett make bandsaw blades. They do not make machinery, although they make a lot of metrology equipment (e.g. micometers, vernier callipers, etc).

Edit: I think that Burnerman and yourself mean "Startrite", not Starrett. Worth noting that any "proper" British Startrite table saw will be pre-1987 or so (when Record took over and moved the WW bandsaws and drill press manufacture to Sheffield - the table saws went). Also Startrite were always importers, having sold under their own name at various times SCM, Inca, Harwi and Robland kit (to name but a few). After Record Power took them over most of the heavier kit was bought-in from Italy and possibly eastern Europe and rebadged, although the combi woodworkers were Lurems (French, but not very good). Since 2005 or so the band saws and drill presses haven't been made here (suspect that they are now made in China, the Chiwanese drill presses they sell nowadays certainly aren't as robust or as well made as the old Startrite design formerly made in the UK)

Yep, bang on.....clerical error! :oops:

It could also be worth keeping an eye on https://www.surplex.com/en/home.html, especially if you don't mind travelling. Most of the machinery is warehouse closures or factory liquidations so that could be a good shout as they are normally looking for the quick sale.

I have placed a couple of early bids in the past but didn't win! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back