Tips for filling in around back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for filling in around back boxes ? What kind of plaster is most suitable ?

Electrics in the kitchen have all been done professionally but I've got to do all the making good myself.

Thanks for any hints/advice.

Sponsored Links
Pollyfilla or I use deep fill ready mixed repair plaster & a trowl, let it dry then a quick rub with sandpaper sorted.

If you are using plaster, don't try to fill a hole in one go. At least the final coat of plaster needs to be put on thin. Attempting to sand plaster is hell so never overfill a hole. Use bonding coat for filling big holes, then finishing plaster for the last mm or two. You really need a good plaster edge to work against with a trowel to get it flat. So wallpaper needs to be peeled back a bit.

Plaster sets by a chemical reaction wheras polyfilla sets by drying out. So for a big hole plaster will set quicker. For a small hole it may be too much hassle. It also shrinks a bit as it sets. But if you get it right you can make a hole good as if it had never been made.

Plan B - make the holes accurately enough so that no filling is required....

Sponsored Links
No, but I can cut it accurately enough for the accessory faceplate to cover the gap between the edges of the hole and the edges of the box.

The box, of course, needs screwing to the wall.

So what do you do with the nasty hole where the cables run up to it?

ban-all-sheds said:

what, u can even do this on solid brick walls? Breeze block yes, dont see it being done for brick walls though.

Have done it on solid concrete with a Kango hammer and drill ... It can be done ... holes around the periphery, hog out the middle and 'nibble' the final portions edges and depth.
P

Is that's neater enough for ya, whadda mean you cannot find a socket this size ?
11awinsp.jpg

benjiman said:
ban-all-sheds said:

what, u can even do this on solid brick walls? Breeze block yes, dont see it being done for brick walls though.
Yup.

Takes a while though, probably couldn't be as neat if I were doing it for money......

comms said:
Pollyfilla or I use deep fill ready mixed repair plaster & a trowl, let it dry then a quick rub with sandpaper sorted.

thankfully, a plasterer comes round after us and does the plastering

Yeah, you draw round the box, and make a honeycomb of holes to the correct depth, chipping out when done with a bolster. If you need to, you can put wet bonding around the edges of the hole before you fit the box. If you're lucky enough to have very deep skirtings, you can place the box just above then you avoid any cable chases too. King of re-wires where decoration is being kept, that's me!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back