Tips for filling in around back boxes

Do the pro use the Box Sinker, I don't see the electrician's brothering, any reason for this ? expensive, short life or rubbish ?

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Do the pro use the Box Sinker, I don't see the electrician's brothering, any reason for this ? expensive, short life or rubbish ?

i have one and sometimes use it. i mainly just use a 30mm chisel in a SDS drill

masona said:
My guess would be that the main reason is that it needs an unfurnished empty house - the huge amount of dust created when any power cutting/grinding tool is applied to walls makes them no-nos once the house is decorated, furnished and occupied.

But those sockets and switches just below the ceiling are a bu99er to reach ... ;)

Sponsored Links
benjiman said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Plan B - make the holes accurately enough so that no filling is required....

what, u can even do this on solid brick walls? Breeze block yes, dont see it being done for brick walls though.

Yup:

HOLE.JPG

BOX.JPG

Ban's, is that your bathroom wall ? if so, just curious about the cable not been put in before plaster ?

masona said:
Ban's, is that your bathroom wall ? if so, just curious about the cable not been put in before plaster ?
Yes, it is - used to look like this:

WALL_1C.jpg

Although not, I hasten to point out, before I removed the old tiles...

And yes, you're right about the chasing for the cable conduit - I wasn't able to get it done in time, but I did do it before the tiling, which is the important thing, and at least the new plaster gave me a nice surface to draw lines on...

Not bragging (well I am actually) but I can get 'em tidier than that even. Draw around box with pencil then with new stanley blade cut through the plaster, inside the line. Drill then chisel out a teeny weeny bit undersize at the front, then tap box in and screw to wall. Use quick drying cement for channel (it goes on very smoothly). No filler needed. ;)

masona said:

I bought one, it broke (after shaking me to buggary first). :confused:

We use the Box Sinker sometimes, very useful (and quick) in the right situation (soft blocks/existing plastered wall). We also use it for new work box sinking (prior to plastering).

The dust it makes can be controlled by holding a Vax hose under it while drilling. I reckon I could drill out and fix a box in 3 or 4 minutes using this tool. Great if you've got 10 or 20 to install!

Also minimal skill is needed to get it right, useful when employing muppets :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back