Tips on how to safely remove this light??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, electrics novice here!

I need to remove a wall unit in the kitchen. Attached to this unit is a light, which is connected to the wall. The wall socket it is connected to has a switch and a fuse.

Any tips on how I might be able to disconnect this (safely!)....or is this a job for a pro?

Huge thanks in advance and hope the photo helps!

Attachments

• light switch .jpg
    light switch .jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
do you fill you could take the front off the spur and remove the load wire - isolating the supply at the consumer unit to be safe

Take off the face plate and disconnect the cable serving the light but make sure you isolate the supply first and test for dead. Ideally replace the switch cover as the entry hole is now exposed

Are you planning to put the fitting back?

If yes, I would just take the fuse out of the holder (in the fused switch unit) in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
Thank you! So turn off the electrics at the main board/consumer unit >> then make sure switch turned off on socket >> open the socket >> and then detach the cable that runs from the light to the socket?

Should I also remove the fuse too? Not intending to use the socket again so should I do anything to make sure this is all safe when switching the electrics in the house back on ?

Thank you everyone for such a quick response!

Just to confirm, to "test for dead", I would need a voltage tester?

and to "terminate the main feed cable", what would need to happen here?

Note - not current registered electrician
yes a voltage tester - you could just have the light on and then isolate the consumer unit and make sure light has gone out \
BUT a good tester is whats needed to be safe
also if have rcd then touching the neutral & earth may trip those or neutral touch an earthed back box

blanking plates are at screwfix or tolstation
various styles available
i would use something like this
but the correct size for the cable,maybe 30a if connected to a 6mm cooker connector or smaller if ringmain 2.5cable - as no current flow, can be a low amperage , providing cables can easily fit and be screwed up - and as you can access it - then no need for a maintenance free connection

or wago connectors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back