Tips on laying laminate floor

M

Maz04

Hi there,

We are laying a real wood laminate floor system from Wickes - birch.

Have started to lay the floor and it is a nightmare! It is a click system - you bang one end on and the other comes off!

Any tips on how to do this easily? At the moment have laid three strips and it has lots of gaps.

Sponsored Links
Maz04 said:
We are laying a real wood laminate floor system from Wickes - birch.

Now, is it real wood (Wood-Engineered) or 'plastic' laminated flooring with 'real wood paper print'? Wish everybody would name things right ;-(

Did you take one of those nice Wickes instruction booklets with it? Are installing instructions supplied, if so, did you read them?

Sorry about the bluntness, but why buy and trying to install cheap things when there are lots of good quality products available that most people can install pretty quick and proper.
But, that's me :eek:

No, indeed, not cheap. Weren't there understandable instructions supplied with it? Hearing the price there should have been and they should be easy to follow, otherwise it's a total rip-off.

But, on the other hand, click-systems 'look' easy but aren't really. 'Old' T&G are still a lot easier to install. Beats me why all manufacturers stick to this click-system (and now also creating them on normal Wood-Engineered and even solid boards), most fitters hate them.

All sheds love them though. Guess why?

Sponsored Links
Do you really expect to get other people spending their own time to help you when your response to WYL's first answer was "T***"!!!

If you search this forum you'll see that WYL gives loads of good advice to people, and most of them appreciate it. But then, some "T***" don't.

Maz04 said:
T ***!

£36 per sq/m is not cheap!

I think this sort of response is unacceptable.
:mad:
We don't all shop at Wickes and know the prices inside out. Most householders when they buy lamintae go for 'budget' flooring. That was probably the assumption made by WYL and in comparison to real wood flooring laminate is cheap.

Come on Mr Moderator ban this ignorant and antisocial poster from our fourm.

in comparison to real wood flooring laminate is cheap.

I can buy beautiful solid oak at less than £40/metre locally. But then some T *** are prepared to pay almost as much for laminate!!!!

I came here for help, only to be insulted the first time I post something.
I quote "have you read the instructions" - What kind of advice is that! Only the advice of a ****!

I AM NOT AN EXPERT AND HAVE NEVER DONE ANY DIY IN MY LIFE BEFORE - you may mock people who have bought cheap laminate floors, I didn't, but people do because they don't have much money. Ever thought of that.

Either run a website that is here to help, not judge people's levels of expertise and then mock them. Or label it as a private website for experts.

Yes I agree language like this should not be used, but some people really do need telling sometimes.

Don't worry Mr Moderator I am out of here and never to return.

Hope you get woodworm in all your cracks!

Oh dear, how easy it is for things to get out of hand when assumptions are made and situations are not fully explained.
Perhaps WYLs' questions could have been better phrased.

Sometimes the instructions don't tell you everything - for example if it is a clic system Maz04 then the material should be tapped together rather than banged. The harder you hit it the greater any recoil will be and this could be what is happening with your floor. If you are having problems tell them about it at Wickes - I find they are usually helpful.

The flooring trade has caused its' own problems by calling the stuff with a lookalike wood layer - laminate. A laminate is any two or more surfaces glued together, including wood, although this is usually known as engineered wood flooring like the stuff you have got.

I hope Maz04 gives the site another go otherwise I've just wasted 15 minutes of my time.

I don't agree with everything that WYL says regarding flooring(everyone has their own methods) but she (I think the genders right-certainly looks to me like a womans handwriting) does give good advice - even to me.
Although it was about computers and not flooring I hasten to add.

flooringman said:
Perhaps WYLs' questions could have been better phrased.

Maybe but Maz04's response was uncalled for. Perhaps he should have provided a little more detail. I glad I wasn't standing next to the guy, he would have probably punched you in the face.

I'm all for giving people an other chance, but Maz04 please think, count to 10 and then give a constructive response please rather than an aggressive and neanderthal one ;)

ah the click system, a falacy invented for the diy sheds tomake people think a nice floor can be simply laid in an afternoon. Providing the room is perfectly square, has no architraves on the wall you are working to or radiators either. I rank it up there alongside the devils spawn of getting expanding foam off of your hands.

WYL i agree with what you are saying, might have been worded slightly more diplomatically, but it could be read both ways.

Maz04 if you ever come back, you havent dignified yourself with any of your responses. No one is a mind reader and did you stop to think why you have a god given right to an answer on here. Hve you paid some fee? Is this some sort of helpline where the operatives are paid to give you the answeres you want, when youve got halfway through a job and realised its not working (in which case WYL would be justified in asking the questions he has asked as it appears that you may not of read the instructions if you dont understand the system)
No its not, its a forum where a lot of people give a lot of their time and expertise to help out others free. A lot of people who regualry help out on here do it becasue they enjoy it, and because they are thouroghly decent people. A lot of those on here have a wealth of experiance and training in their field, which you would normally pay to have the benefit of. As usual though most expect the correct propmt reply and when they dont get it they resort to rudeness and lack of manners.
If you spoke to me like that when you didnt get the answer you didnt like, then you really would get an answer you wouldnt like.

Thermo said:
WYL i agree with what you are saying, might have been worded slightly more diplomatically, but it could be read both ways.

Yes, I know :oops: , 't was one of those days that really p*isses you off. I apologize for any harm done :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back