TN-S or TN-C-S ? (with photo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - can one of the experts please confirm whether my earthing system is TN-S or TN-C-S? From what I've been reading in the Wiki, these two arrangements may look the same from the outside of the cutout, as it's not possible to know where the earthing cable is clamped to the incoming supply?

Thanks in advance.

Cutoutandmeter.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yep. TNCS / PME. The earth goes into the neutral block. If it were in the bottom of the cutout, it could be either.

Is that a replacement service fuse block? It looke very new to me, along with the new meter tails. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Defo TN-C-S as earth is to left of neutral, so no other option.

That neutral cover is not sealed - open it and look ;) I dont think the neutral is held shut when the fuse is inserted on that model - it is on most others.

Seems a bit dangerous, no? (I know you cant be shocked by it, but still . . )

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the service head is new. It was replaced about a year ago when I asked to DNO to upgrade the service fuse to 100A.

As soon as the engineers saw the previous arrangement they said 'Oh .... you have no earth!!' Thankfully they sorted the earthing out, but I forgot to ask them what earthing system they had given me.

The tails do look a bit rough - maybe I'll ask the chaps to come back and sort it out :)

williaminsurrey said:
As soon as the engineers saw the previous arrangement they said 'Oh .... you have no earth!!' Thankfully they sorted the earthing out, but I forgot to ask them what earthing system they had given me.

Almost always TNC-S when that happens, its the easiest thing to do when the network supports it

Yep, you had the correct replies. But what is in the jar?... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back