To board or not to board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :D

Continuing my DIY plastering adventures, having done two bathrooms and smoothed over a couple of ceilings, I'm going to have a crack at the conservatory pictured.

Wife wants all the brick plastered, to be finished ready for paint (no tiling).

I've never plastered onto bare brick before, I guess I have two options;

1) - Prime walls
- Dot and dab plasterboard up (would MR board be worth it in a conservatory?).... (would Thistle Bonding be suitable for adhering boards to the brick?)
- Joint and angle bead as per norm
- Thistle board finish x two coats

or, and this one I'm not sure about

2) - Prime the walls
- Thistle hardwall (two coats?....not sure about that bit?)
- Push the angle beads into the HW before it dries? (again not sure how the beads would go onto the external corners*. Before I've just tapped them into PB with small ring-shank nails)
- Multifinish x 2 level with the beads.

*Note there is only a couple of small, external corners (out of shot in the photo's below), most of the corners are sub 90degree internal bends).

Is there any special considerations for doing a conservatory, I guess if its a sunny day the plaster might bake quickly and crack? The glasswork is all waterproof as far as I can tell.

Really grateful for anyone's thoughts and advice on what would work best...I'm still using a 12" trowel but considering going for 18", should I?

Cheers!

Tom

DSCN0861_zpsf7lk0el9.jpg

DSCN0860_zpseirkesc9.jpg

DSCN0859_zpskqun9coo.jpg

Sponsored Links
Option 1, is easiest option.
Use Dry-wall adhesive not bonding coat!
Generally Dry-Wall addy will not require walls to be primed, but it will not harm the application.

Note, You will require longer MS screws for the socket boxes, when comes to re-fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back