To cross batten or not to cross batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm building an open porch which will have oak cladding on top of the rafters so that when you look up it's look nicer than looking up at tile underlay. I'm then having french tiles on top. Obviously I need the battens to hold the tiles but should I have battens running down the slope underneath them to create air flow or is it not necessary for an uninsulated open roof space? Hope this makes sense... there's a picture below to hopefully help. The hatched area is the cladding.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
putting counterbattens over the boards creates a clear space that water can run down when it gets under the tiles. Otherwise it may pool and cause rot.

Cheers guys... thought it most likely but just though I'd check.

Sponsored Links
Hello!

I'm building an open porch which will have oak cladding on top of the rafters so that when you look up it's look nicer than looking up at tile underlay. I'm then having french tiles on top. Obviously I need the battens to hold the tiles but should I have battens running down the slope underneath them to create air flow or is it not necessary for an uninsulated open roof space? Hope this makes sense... there's a picture below to hopefully help. The hatched area is the cladding.

Thank you!

Build it as you described not like you have drawn with the battens under the cladding ;)

Ha! Well spotted! 10 points to Blagard. Was just throwing you a curve ball you understand... keeping everyone on their toes! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back