To glue or not to glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of these that is obviously a push fit into 4" pipe I have (I know this is not to be glued in as theres a rubber seal at the end of the 4"). I also bought the necessary (grey) reducer for it so as it accepts white 50mm waste pipe.

Are you meant to glue the grey reducer into the grey pop? I suppose there's no harm as I guess I'll be glueing the white plastic into the grey reducer. Just want to get it right as it's all going to be somewhat inaccessible right behind a bath.

Thanks

Attachments

• adaptor.jpg
    adaptor.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 220
Sponsored Links
Don't use glue, you want to use solvent cement. That dissolves the plastic slightly.
Also make sure the pipe and fitting are abs or upvc which I'm sure they will be. If you have pp pipe it won't weld. Also it's usually too small as the solvent weld is actually made in 50mm internal diameter whereas the push fit is done on the external diameter (actually Imperial internal diameters)

If the 110mm has a rubber seal in it, that'll make the seal, you wont need glue. Post a photo of the pipe and we'll tell you for sure.

When I said glue, I mean solvent weld. I mentioned above that he 4 inch had a rubber seal so the pictured part going into the 4" isn't the issue. My question is mainly about the white plastic meeting the grey. I had to buy a 2nd flowplast grey 50mm adaptor (pictured) for where the white plastic will be meeting it. I see just now it's called a solvent weld boss adaptor so that sort of answers my question.

The (white) plastic and fittings I have bought to go into this are of course all solvent weld. I was a bit surprised the 50mm pipe isn't a bit more snug into this 2nd adaptor but I'm assuming the solvent weld will do it?

Attachments

• adaptor 50mm.jpg
    adaptor 50mm.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
Yes the solvent will take up the slack, some makes are slightly different to others, so you end up with some tight and some loose joints when dry. In the end it's not a problem.

Best to get all the pipe and fittings manufactured by the same company then a guaranteed diy fit is possible,it also looks more professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back