old plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved into a house about 40 years old. We are having a new bathroom fitted but the plumber cant stop little leaks from new bath pipework into the soil pipe. He is using new size white plastic pipes into bigger old grey ones (sorry to be so technical). He is putting loads of glue stuff on them - IS THIS RIGHT?

He seems to be having a lot of trouble which I thought should be an easy job.

Any suggestions (apart from changing plumbers - who is actually a builder)!

Sponsored Links
scottergirl said:
We have moved into a house about 40 years old. We are having a new bathroom fitted but the plumber cant stop little leaks from new bath pipework into the soil pipe. He is using new size white plastic pipes into bigger old grey ones (sorry to be so technical). He is putting loads of glue stuff on them - IS THIS RIGHT?

He seems to be having a lot of trouble which I thought should be an easy job.

Any suggestions (apart from changing plumbers - who is actually a builder)!

Its Plumbing !!!!! Its not quite as simple and easy as the TV programmes have you believe.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Glue is for sovent welding the plastic together.. If he is having a bit of trouble then maybe hes sniffing the glue fumes too much ? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: LOVELY !!

Your signature has been removed, please read the forum rules

DING DING DING DING DING - Alarms bells have gone off already!

Any suggestions (apart from changing plumbers - who is actually a builder

Get a plumber. Yes - bathroom plumbing is not complicated, but you do need to know what you are doing and how things were done. It will be a disaster. (see here)

If the pipes are different sizes no amount of glue in the world will seal the pipes.

Pictures please!?

Years ago nearly every make of waste pipe was a different size for the same size, if you get what I mean :eek:

Even the same make but a different colour would be different sizes, as would push fit, solvent weld etc. etc.

I do not get the impression that he knows what he is doing :rolleyes:

He should be using a compression waste fitting that when tightened will seal onto both pipes with ther rubber seal making up the slight differences in diameter.

He's not an Eastern European 'plumber' is he? Is the work being notified to a competent persons scheme and BC?

Sponsored Links
BC and comp. schemes.... :confused: I started plumbing in 10 BC. :LOL: and I`ve never notified anything :LOL: I`ve been certified and sectioned a couple of times tho`

The new regs will hopefully get 'shot' of the bodgers & rogue traders...eventually

or I hope they like prison food!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back