To powerflush microbore..or not to powerflush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm quoting on a boiler swap. The existing system is not blocked and the rads seem to be all OK.....and its microbore, so whilst I really think i should powerflush it I have been warned by people I know I can generally trust that I might just make things worse and not better, by powerflushing.

I've mostly done servicing/breakdown until recently, so I'd appreciate informed comment from those with real experience of cleaning out microbore systems as to what is the best and most advisable way to proceed.

I am a bit nervous as when I was very new at this I managed to take out the heat exchanger of an old boiler in 1.5 days ( Ideal W2000) with no more than a bottle of Sentinel X200 added, and the client was not happy, even though it was obviously held together with scale :rolleyes:

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Flush it(keep reversing flow just to be safe). Never personally had a problem. Ask how many people have actually had a problem, or just know a man who's brother in laws dog told him it was a bad idea.

Got the warning from an experinced installer who had a flush go badly wrong on microbore, not only blocking the microbore, but also the heat exchanger on the new Vaillant Boiler. It took an extra day to resolve, so not a 'gossip' story...but I know where you are coming from.

Alf

Sponsored Links
A lot of these systems have 22 or sometimes 28mm pipework to a header concealed somewhere underfloor and the microbore radiating from that header.Be aware as you may have to manually clean this out.

I've got a sneaky feeling you may be right as it all comes off the boiler in 28 then disappears into the attached garage roof, and the microbore comes out of the walls at a 45 degree angle into the rad valves. The house is just under 20 years old and has a FF Baxi Solo WM..which has nothing wrong with it, and I told the owner, but he wants an A rated not a G, so there we go....he missed the boiler scrappage by a week....but still wants to do it.

Normally I'd go for the powerflush like a demon..but something is niggling me here. The rads all seem fine, so its not as if the system is a wreck.

I'm sort of in the 'if it ain't broke' camp here.

Alf

I have powerflushed quite a few micro bore systems...the last one i did in Bristol was unreal...The crap that came out of it was like no other i had done..

I have had no problems doing them at all.......The only thing i would say is as mentioned have 2 rads open to keep as much water as poss circulating....

The ones i have done with the boiler still in place i have used the CP2 CIRCULATION PUMP ADAPTOR that goes straight onto the pump inside the boiler.....100% better that going through the rad tails...

I have powerflushed quite a few micro bore systems...the last one i did in Bristol was unreal...The crap that came out of it was like no other i had done..

I have had no problems doing them at all.......The only thing i would say is as mentioned have 2 rads open to keep as much water as poss circulating....

The ones i have done with the boiler still in place i have used the CP2 CIRCULATION PUMP ADAPTOR that goes straight onto the pump inside the boiler.....100% better that going through the rad tails...

Sorry meant to mention that.
If doing Micro do 2 rads and through pump

I would agree, with the above, the problem with Microbore is that you cant get a good flow rate through the very small diameters so haveing 2 rads open at once will help, but I would advise removing the rads one at a time and flushing them outside that way you won't risk blocking the manifolds with c**p ;)

I would agree, with the above, the problem with Microbore is that you cant get a good flow rate through the very small diameters so haveing 2 rads open at once will help, but I would advise removing the rads one at a time and flushing them outside that way you won't risk blocking the manifolds with c**p ;)

You might just know they have carpets where dirt fears to tread. I'l have to go very carefully not to splot on them :LOL:

Alf

You might just know they have carpets where dirt fears to tread. I'l have to go very carefully not to splot on them :lol: Alf[/QUOTE said:
I went to a job a few years ago when i worked for my brother in law, my remit was to change 2 radiators...
The carpets in the house in question were absolutely disgusting and i would not have let my dog walk on them :eek:

As i walked through the door i said good morning and nodded, the customers first words were "Do you have liability insurance?"
I took one look at his carpets and said cheerio and closed the door behind me.....

If you are worried can you add cleanser a few days before and let the boiler heat it all and loosen all the dirt and then do mains flush

I have never had any problems with micro bore flushing but im sure someone will have had and its become an urban legend ,the problems are usaully in the manifolds thats where the crud will collect i have had to cut some out and change them before because of sludge build up,but thats the way it goes ,swings and roundabouts ,some days you are the pidgeon and most days you are the statue!!! :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back