To say, or not to say, that is the question

Would you speak out about the situation described, or something similar ?

• Yes - even though it's nothing to do with me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - safety is everyone's concern and it's my duty to speak up

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No - they've made the choice to go there, not my concern

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No - I feel should do but I don't want to be seen to be interfering

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Not sure - different situations might get different responses

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, but your fatuous and discredited argument was used by people like you when the law was first proposed. Utter nonsense like "being thrown clear" was often bandied about. Since nobody could possibly know in advance if they were going to have the rare type of accident where they would be better off, and not the much more likely sort where they would be worse off, it could not be used to decide whether to use a belt or not at the start of any particular journey, and therefore it cannot be used to decide if the law should exist.
So you do acknowledge that there are some accidents in which a person could end up worse off with a belt than without. It's not just the "being thrown clear" type either, which is admittedly very rare; there are numerous cases on record in which relatively minor crashes have left people with severe internal injuries or even broken necks due to the belt when they would otherwise have walked away with much more minor cuts and bruises.

Whether you discount these as being a small proportion of accidents is irrelevant. The fact remains - as you have acknowledged - that in some cases it can be harmful rather than beneficial, yet you think it's acceptable to force the use of something on people which may prove harmful, even lethal, in some cases. Whether the chances are 50/50 or only 1 in 1000, the state has no right to play Russian Roulette with people's lives and people should be free to look at the facts for themselves and decide if they feel that the potential benefits of something outweigh the potential risks.

But even if there were no risks and only benefits to something (like eating healthily), it's still not the state's business to try and force people to do something "for their own good." Freedom means the freedom to make bad choices for oneself as well as good ones.

The question was "Should one report what could well be a breach of H&S regulations?". Side tracking that to a general discussion about what is for the common good with an idealogue who is rabidly opposed to any sort of regulations in any field, and any sort of society, is pointless.
It is all part of the same basic principle. Do you think a person should be free to decide for himself what steps he takes to protect himself or don't you? Either that applies to everything he does, or if you accept that he should not be free to so decide you open the floodgate to ever-increasing regulation of what he should be forced to do "for his own good."

Sponsored Links
Yes, its called Health and Safety duty by proxy.

There might even be a convenient app for that. Report that concern with a simple click, and then get on with your life.

Oh the joys of a snitcher's paradise, where everyone watches everyone else.

There might even be a convenient app for that. Report that concern with a simple click, and then get on with your life.

This is my take on it too Woods.

The snitchers claim to be doing something noble and worthwhile. I would guess that these same brave folk do it anonymously, don't leave the building they are in, don't sully their clean hands and are free to go about their daily lives. They then sit with a smirk on their faces whilst their little plan comes together.

As soon as a real worthy hands-on situation comes up, these people are the first to nudge someone else ahead of themselves. Morals my arse.

Sponsored Links
I bet youd go to the circus and see the tight rope walker, think wow that looks dangerous ill call someone and get the whole thing closed down.

Isn't it bizarre how someone makes a poll, invites people to express a view, and then proceeds to tell those that selected a different opinion to his, that they have no morals or ethics?
Not really, when that is completely true.

Fair enough.

It does not, I will admit, come as a surprise to learn that you suffer from a very limited attention span, but given that you do you really should have the good grace to stop posting, and confine yourself to just reading what little you find you can cope with.

It's not "snitching" - it's being a responsible, moral member of society fulfilling one's duty
As long as you are not putting yourself out though eh Bas. And as long as "fulfilling one's duty" means not interrupting your tea, then you will nobly and courageously do your duty eh, oh gallant one.
Why do you keep banging on and on about things all of which stem from your evidence-free assumptions of anonymous curtain twitching, only reporting things if it doesn't interrupt tea, hiding behind sofas etc?

Is it because you have something wrong with your reasoning capabilities, or because you, now realising that you really do have a shameful lack of morals, will invent anything to try and make yourself feel superior?

This is my take on it too Woods.

The snitchers claim to be doing something noble and worthwhile. I would guess that these same brave folk do it anonymously, don't leave the building they are in, don't sully their clean hands and are free to go about their daily lives. They then sit with a smirk on their faces whilst their little plan comes together.

As soon as a real worthy hands-on situation comes up, these people are the first to nudge someone else ahead of themselves. Morals my arse.
I personally think you attitude is obnoxious to any right minded person.

Why do you keep banging on and on about things all of which stem from your evidence-free assumptions of anonymous curtain twitching, only reporting things if it doesn't interrupt tea, hiding behind sofas etc?
Because if you are overweight and your breath stinks, then what I posted is likely to be true.

Is it because you have something wrong with your reasoning capabilities, or because you, now realising that you really do have a shameful lack of morals, will invent anything to try and make yourself feel superior?
No this.....

I've just blocked talks-all-s'hite. So wont be seeing any more quotes-like a-pedant posts.

Every single post of his, in this thread and all others is an argument. Never an acknowledgement, never an agreement, always without fail a contrary argumentative load-of-dribble. I don't even know what he contributes other than abuse

Life's-too-short.

Because if you are overweight and your breath stinks, then what I posted is likely to be true.

So that will be limited-to-non-existent reasoning abilities on your part, then.

I've just blocked talks-all-s'hite. So wont be seeing any more quotes-like a-pedant posts.
Hallelujah - that means I won't have to deal with any more of your childish, unintelligent nonsense posts in reply to mine.

Every single post of his, in this thread and all others is an argument. Never an acknowledgement, never an agreement,
We all know that you are hard of thinking - were you not then it might occur to you that the reason you perceive that is because I don't agree with a single thing you say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back