To tee or not to tee ... bend radius

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the bend radius on a "normal" 20mm conduit tee too tight to take two 2.5 T&E cables along each arm?

The radius needs to be 31mm, but it looks very tight in the picture I have ... I'll know when they turn up on my doorstep .... but I'm sure someone here can tell me before then.

Sponsored Links
T & E isn't designed to be run in conduit.

But I have done it and bending about the smaller axis isn't a huge problem. The problem is if you do it properly you're supposed to erect the conduit first, then draw in the cable - you won't be able to do that easily with T & E. And best of luck if you ever have to replace the cable!

If you possibly can, use singles.

I HATE inspection tee's - they should be banned.

Pull your own bends, and use circular boxes ;)

Just battled through town and managed to find one to look at in B&Q - yup, seems a fair amount of room. Looked a lot tighter in the piccie :oops:

Must admit, I'd envisaged installing it in conjunction with the conduit rather than drawing it through afterwards, but as you say that begs the question what if it needs replacing. I'd gone for conduit simply 'cos it's in a garage and it offers some protection to the cable, whilst being easy(!) to put down. At least it's all very accessible.

But your comments have certainly made me reconsider how I'll do the bends/joints - thanks.

Just did a quick "Google" and liked the one remark about feeding cable ... "Generally, the person who ran the conduit should do the pulling, that will teach him to avoid extra bends."

Sponsored Links
inspections for internal corners.. Circulars for when on the wall running down.. IYSWIM..

David

Pull your own bends for internal corners, with a circular through/tee/90 etc near by.

You can get tangent circular boxes for conduit runs close to the corners of walls, and snap in saddles to allow the conduit to be put in tight - but it looks sh*t.

The only time I would ever use inspection bends is for intruder/telephone cables etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back