Silly little noob question - bending T&E...

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Installation design... no probs
Regs... no probs
Embarrassingly simple practical detail... well, it's got me thinking! So I may as well ask...

Exactly how would you bend heavyish (6mm) T&E 90 degrees where it's clipped flat to a wall? The only position this will happen is where my cooker cable leaves the cooker switch, goes along horizontally, then down to the cable outlet plate (and the hood cable does the same but turns upwards from its FCU to it's outlet, albeit in 1.5mm)?

Will it bend in its 'major' axis flat against the wall within a reasonable radius (so as to stay in the zones) without too much mechanical stress, or would you allow it to twist 90 degrees before the bend, so that it can negotiate the bend in its 'minor' axis, which I think it'd much prefer from a mechanical stress point of view, then twist back 90 degrees after the bend to continue on flat against the wall?

Hope that makes reasonable sense. Cheers,

Liam

Sponsored Links
Exactly how would you bend heavyish (6mm) T&E 90 degrees where it's clipped flat to a wall?

Will it bend in its 'major' axis flat against the wall within a reasonable radius (so as to stay in the zones) without too much mechanical stress,
Yes

or would you allow it to twist 90 degrees before the bend, so that it can negotiate the bend in its 'minor' axis, which I think it'd much prefer from a mechanical stress point of view,
If it's surface and on show that method always looks poop

Sponsored Links
To start with cables shouldn't go horizontally, only vertical

Hmmm right oh.

So you have three sockets along a worktop, one either end & one in the middle.
Why waste the cable by going up & down to each when going horizontaly between each will suffice & complies with regs?

Hmmm right oh.

So you have three sockets along a worktop, one either end & one in the middle.
Why waste the cable by going up & down to each when going horizontaly between each will suffice & complies with regs?

Price of copper has come down though :D

Read up on 'safe zones' before you carry on doing a lot of unnecessary chasing into floor/ceiling voids! :eek:

OK I'll probably just do whatever 'feels' best then. It will be concealed by dot & dabbed plasterboard anyway, so I don't know what all my fuss was about to be honest. Just wondered what a spark would do...

Thanks,

Liam

I'd go up and down, or horizontal between points, but I wouldn't put a change in direction mid wall...

can we edit the useless quotes out people and only leave the ones relavent to the reply?
otherwise we'll end up with quotes nested 50 deep....

I'd go up and down, or horizontal between points, but I wouldn't put a change in direction mid wall...

It's just in this one position to avoid the dreaded diagonal cooker cable NO-NO. All in the zones given by the cooker switch and outlet plate. Concrete floor, and it just seems... inelegant to go up to the roof and back down again. Anyone else think this is bad practice?

Liam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back