todays find

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Random tripping. Both inner insulation and sheath very brittle causing random tripping. Maybe not very interesting for the pro's but I can't believe its got this far...The adjacent unit in same condition.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It appears, as one can never get a straight answer, that this place was re-wired, but existing fittings were used. The sections that were kaput were sleeved some kind of (presumably) heat proof sleeving. Everything outside of that was ok. In my mind this does beg a few questions. ie. were the lamps overated? Does the sleeving cause overheating? Was the cable underated? Was the cable poor quality? I will never know unfortunately.

rewiring but keeping existing fittings is rough

rewiring and keeping some sections of cable especially damaged ones is rough as a badgers a***e

Is that associated with recessed lighting?

No, they were a externally, ceiling mounted unit using 2no. bayonet lamps. Old style, where you undo 3 thumb screws to remove the glass cover to change the lamps?

rewiring but keeping existing fittings is rough

rewiring and keeping some sections of cable especially damaged ones is rough as a badgers a***e

I agree, but in the current economic climate, some choose the cheapest option and just simply do not understand that older fittings may have issues. "It works so its alright."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back