(toe)nailing question: hanging duvet as curtains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello dear diyers,

i am going to hang 2 quite heavy duvets as curtain doors.
im going to use nails to hang the top outside corners and clip the middle, to create a slit for me to walk in and out of.

A. is it necessary to drive the nails at an angle? if so, should it be pointing upwards or downwards? (pls look at the illustration) does it matter? what are the differences?

B. what sort of nail and nail thickness is necessary? as shown in the illustration, i plan to have the 2 end corners nailed. i can use more than 1 nail for each corners.

thank you for your help, sounds very tedious but i wanna get the basics right! :)

Sponsored Links
A nail will soon tear its way through the duvet cover.

You might consider cup hooks, with plastic coating so the surface is much thicker.

how about cutting some timber to the width of the doov then inserting into the cover and then putting fixing through that using cup washers or something. I would probably screw it rather than nailing it.

Are you going for a bedouin tent theme there. would be interested to see the outcome.

Rob

All the duvet filling will fall to the bottom of the pockets . . . . .

They are designed to work horizontally, not vertically

Sponsored Links
A nail will soon tear its way through the duvet cover.
All the duvet filling will fall to the bottom of the pockets . . . . .
These would be my concerns.

If you where going nail it you would nail it slightly downwards (red arrow) not up, then the weight/force is trying to hold the nail in no pull it out, just like you would with tent pegs.

But I agree that you would be better either inserting a wooden battern into the top od the duvet and securing that, or as i would expect that to be harder and messier than i sounds, trapping the duvet behind/between a battern or pair of batterns.

Hollowfibre duvets settle a lot less than feather/down types and might work ok, but I would think you would be much better with a felt or quited type affair.

I presume the thought it create a barrier to heat and draft to keep the warm in? In which case getting a good fit is at important as anything else.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back