Toilet cistern inlet copper/plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asked husband (very nicely) to replace old cistern with new plastic slimline thing so that it can be boxed in. All ok, EXCEPT the inlet. Which leaks.
The inlet comes up to the side of the cistern, its a copper pipe and had a brass nut on it which connected fine to the old plastic fitting in the old cistern. It leaked when he tried to fit it to the new cistern. He did wrap white tape stuff around the plastic male part, but it still leaked. He decided that the nut and new male threaded part were incompatible, so sent me out to buy a flexible tap connector, 15mm. He has fitted this, but the connection at the cistern still leaks. He complains there is no washer inside the chrome nut to provide a seal. There is a metal captive washer inside. He has put that white tape stuff on the plastic part, it still leaks.
He has ranted for about an hour, taken it off, put it back on, it still leaks.

Can someone please advise how to stop it leaking? Or what fitting I should buy for it. He won't call a plumber.

Sponsored Links
sounds like either too much 'white tape stuff' or the thread has been damaged...it's easy to do as they are shyte!

Suprised there is no washer tho :confused:

Well the plastic thread doesn't look damaged, and it leaks with or without the tape - tape has been wrapped several different times around it, so varying thicknesses have been tried.
Can anyone suggest a solution? Is there another type of fitting that should be used?
Its been 4 weeks now and I need the loo...

Would putting Plumbers Mait on it help? or is this the wrong stuff to use?

Presume you bought a flexi pipe with a compression one end and a tap connector fitting the other end...Did it get supplied with a fibre/rubber washer. essential for a water tight seal. The thread of the plastic is easily damaged its important to get it as tight as possible with fingers only first then a quarter of a turn with a suitiable spanner. No ptfe tape is needed in most cases.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
I find hat the nylon 1/2" thread of the modern float valve/torbek valve does not mate well with the time honoured copper tap connector with fibre washer.

The best combination that I have found is the Hepworth hep20 push fit tap connector. This is superior to any other type because it has a cone shaped rubber seal, which by fitting partially inside the 1/2" male part it cannot fail to seal good both when you first make the joint but for the future.

Connecting reliably to nylon toilet inlets is probably the most troublesome plumbing job today.

I have now insturcted my m8 to only use Hepworth for this job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back