toilet cistern query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a push button operated cistern..the type with the two sections for short and long flush
it operates a cable which pushes into the cistern internals
the push button is mounted on the face of an enclosure and that part is easy to remove as its held with magnetic catches

we want to revert to an 'old fashioned' lever to flush and at full capacity..our waste outlet needs a bit of help to get all the tissue out!!

can this be done easily or does it mean a completely new cistern...which looks pretty hard to get into...to me anyway...as it goes down behind the pan and has sealer round the edge

can show pics if necessary

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
Not really possible.

More likely the problem is that all flush valves now flush 6 litres.

This used to be 9 the 7.5 now 6 due to regulations and trying to save water.

What ultimately happens is we now have to regularly flush 12litres When 9 would have done the job.

Very unusual.

If you have a 6-9l cistern you need to make sure your bowl is also a 6l one and not an old one dating back 20+ years.

I have a similar issue and my flushing mechanism will be changed to a fluidmaster unit and the waste bowl fitted with a newer one.

Sponsored Links
Use a Fluidmaster with handle,each time you hold it down the flush will empty the cistern totally,

its an improvement on the two flush system

we have a push button operated cistern..the type with the two sections for short and long flush
it operates a cable which pushes into the cistern internals
the push button is mounted on the face of an enclosure and that part is easy to remove as its held with magnetic catches

we want to revert to an 'old fashioned' lever to flush and at full capacity..our waste outlet needs a bit of help to get all the tissue out!!

can this be done easily or does it mean a completely new cistern...which looks pretty hard to get into...to me anyway...as it goes down behind the pan and has sealer round the edge

can show pics if necessary

cheers
geof

Not really possible.

More likely the problem is that all flush valves now flush 6 litres.

This used to be 9 the 7.5 now 6 due to regulations and trying to save water.

What ultimately happens is we now have to regularly flush 12litres When 9 would have done the job.

thanks..that is what we noticed

Make sure your flush valve is set to a full flush, as most are not when fitted.

Andy

thanks..i have now set it to its highest to do what you suggest

Very unusual.

If you have a 6-9l cistern you need to make sure your bowl is also a 6l one and not an old one dating back 20+ years.

I have a similar issue and my flushing mechanism will be changed to a fluidmaster unit and the waste bowl fitted with a newer one.[/QUOTE

thanks...i think the bowl seems rather new as the bathroom may have been upgraded in the last few years...

Use a Fluidmaster with handle,each time you hold it down the flush will empty the cistern totally,

its an improvement on the two flush system

i think that is what we want...the water rates down here are pretty high but we cant abide leftovers in the bowl....mainly toilet tissue which seems to float and take a while to soak up the water

do you mean this one?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-lever-dual-flush-valve/57025

I can't make out from the photo if it has a syphonic action or a trap-door hatch

I have tried Flappers which have a powerful quiet flush but are sometimes said to lose their seal.

thanks...yes that looks like a good conversion...will follow that up

what is the best way to get off the back panel behind the pan...i think it is slotted and sits down over the pan outlet and is sealed with silicone.....i guess removing the seal and lifting it up might be the way....there are no fixing screws

ps the present cistern is plastic and in the void behind the toilet seat area...the push button flush is situated in a decorative wood panel...the whole of the sink and toilet are in a bathroom unit which has flush panelling..boxed in may be the correct description. the sink is set into a black marble effect worktop and this goes over the area where the cistern hides..
ACE!

cheers to all
geof

Usually fascia is held in place with something like this:
kekuliftoff-zi.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back