Toilet Cistern - Wobbly Handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet handle recently broke. The square metal rod from the handle going into the cistern sheared off, presumably due to wear and tear. So, I purchased a new one, fitted it, and now I'm a bit confused...

I think I've done everything correctly. I had to saw off a bit of the new square metal rod as it was a bit too long, but I've managed to get everything in place and working. My problem is that the handle is a bit wobbly!

Every other DIY site says to tighten up the plastic bolt if the handle is wobbly but mine is already very tight. I don't think that is the problem. It is the square rod that is loose within the plastic threaded bit. I can move it forward and back ever so slightly, which means that the handle feels loose and the chrome collar on the outside jangles. The only thing stopping it coming out is a split pin.

Should the whole thing be tighter? I don't know if you can tell from the picture but there is a plastic washer between the threaded plastic bit and the split pin. That helped a bit but I feel that if that were a bit thicker, it would reduce the play on the handle and stop it wobbling. Have I got a particularly thin cistern? I presume they are standard size.

What do you think?

Just to clarify, the toilet is now flushing correctly. There are no problems with the workings, it is just a bit loose.

I also have another question. What are these for? They came with the new handle. As you can see, they are sloped. I presume they are for curved cisterns, so that your handle remains perpendicular and doesn't go in at an angle. So why is there a plastic one and a chrome one, both identical size?

Sponsored Links
What you have purchased is a universal product and would not be a perfect fit for all cisterns. You should be able to use an extra washer on the inside, to reduce the movement.

I also have another question. What are these for? They came with the new handle. As you can see, they are sloped. I presume they are for curved cisterns, so that your handle remains perpendicular and doesn't go in at an angle. So why is there a plastic one and a chrome one, both identical size?

There are two packers so one fits outside the cistern and the other fits inside. If there was only one, you would be tightening the nut at an angle against the cistern, twisting the fitting and stripping the thread.

If the outer chrome escutcheon is loose, I would put a dab of LS-X or similar behind it to glue it down.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice.

I will try and put an extra washer on the inside to try and pack it out a bit.

I'm still not very happy with my work.

I can't put the lever arm in the ideal position (directly above the lift rod) because my cistern is rather cramped, so I have to locate it nearer to the handle, and so it pulls the lift rod from the side.

Also, if I lift the handle up too far, it unhooks from the lift rod. If I push the handle down too far, it hits the cistern lid.

Any suggestions on how to improve my handiwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back