Toilet : close-coupling kit looks wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a standard close-coupling kit from the local plumbers merchant == bog standard ;)

The photo shows how the kit lines up with the bolts through the holes in the toilet ( just to show how it looks ).

The rubber doughnut does not want to sit anywhere other than where it is in the photo.

It doesn't look right to me, but maybe this is OK or good enough.

The toilet make is not identified, but it is marked "Made in England" and appears to date from the early 1990s.

Do close-coupling kits with offset boltholes exist or shall I start wielding the trusty file ??

Sponsored Links
If it don't sit right now it won't sit right when fixed to cistern.
The plate and do nut washer will central it's self on the flush valve so when fitting to pan the do nut will centre it self in the hole and your plate holes won't line with holes in pan.

Plumbcenter do a range of doughnuts and other seals......one type is much larger diameter than your standard B&Q one, and its thinner too.
I guess with silicone as your friend you could get away with it!
Failing that, you could fabricate your own from a sheet of 2mm stainless!
Your cistern isn't the bolt through type is it - that doesn't use that sort of coupling kit?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Your cistern isn't the bolt through type is it - that doesn't use that sort of coupling kit?
John :)
It is not a bolt-through cistern.
I think that the larger diameter ( and thinner ) seal may be the most promising avenue at this stage. . . . .back to PlumbCentre then . . . . .

I don't see a problem with it, as seco says put it together properly and it will all centralise on the flush valve.
Then the doughnut which is centralised on the valve will determine the final position of the cistern....i.e., centralised on the pan hole.

The result :-

I fitted the kit shown in the original post.

It does seem to work effectively - there is no leakage upon flushing.

Thanks to all for your guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back