Toilet leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping you can help with a problem I've discovered in my bathroom (pic attached).

The wallpaper had started bubbling and discolouring so I knew there was an issue. Took a patch off under the toilet and the plaster is soaking wet underneath (where it looks crumbly in the pic, the rest is dry). This is an internal wall shared with next door - I believe their side is a bedroom and they haven't reported any issues.

There is no visible leak, no wet pipes, and nothing appears to spurt or leak when I flush the toilet. Before I call a plumber out does anyone know what this is likely to be and how serious it is?

Thank you!
284789042_1861211884088876_7823602005591901512_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove the cistern lid and photo the inside please

Sponsored Links
Try flushing the toilet, still with the lid off, and see if there’s any spray from the filling/float valve

OP,
Now operate the flush a few times and observe that alls well with the cistern works.
Then, flush, sponge out the residue, and then spotlessly clean the inside, & the outside, of the cistern - then look for cracks in the cistern..
You might eventually have to remove the cistern from the wall.
Whatever, to start, you will need to remove all the paper from the back wall to expose all signs of water damage.
You might also eventually need to replace all the plaster from the back wall - to do this best practice would require the skirting and the rad to be removed. The cold supply to the WC is not clipped.
Is the floor water damaged?

Thanks for your replies all!

Here's a video of flushing, it does seem like some spray is coming out of refill but nothing major.

Tell80, I will try to empty and clean the cistern as you suggest and remove the rest of the wallpaper. I assume I'm to tell a plumber to take the cistern off the wall to find what's going on here!

"The cold supply to the WC is not clipped" - Sorry, what does this mean?

As far as I know the floor is fine

If it is spraying up and hitting the lid, then you have found the leak. Replace the float valve;

Andy

Looks to me like a hairline crack starting near the left hand fixing screw. Clean off the gunk and see if it extends below the water level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back