Toilet nut

Confused about the new toilet fill valve not being able to seal. It works fine but it just comes through.
Pictures of it above and below would be useful ,all you have shown is the old one,which doesn't give us any idea of what you currently have.

Sponsored Links
Is the new float touching the cistern at all? If it is, angle it away. Also scrape off that silicone and plumbers mait (putty).
It isn’t touching any part now with the new one. It just angled because of the toilet beneath it hits it slightly so you have to angle it away to screw the nut up but then that’s was caused the leak.

Pictures of it above and below would be useful ,all you have shown is the old one,which doesn't give us any idea of what you currently have.
I’m not there currently as I left it isolated for now. I don’t have the picture of it from the top at the moment only from the bottom as I showed

I thought your first pic was of the original valve ,if it is your new valve ,it's way out of kilter / askew.

Sponsored Links
I thought your first pic was of the original valve ,if it is your new valve ,it's way out of kilter / askew.
This is the new one that is fitted. And that is the angle of it because when it goes straight it hits the toilet and you can’t do the nut up

Attachments

• ED3DA8CF-B248-4724-9915-EBA599983D01.jpeg
    ED3DA8CF-B248-4724-9915-EBA599983D01.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 50
  • B215CE26-A253-40FF-A9EA-81018CEE5293.png
    B215CE26-A253-40FF-A9EA-81018CEE5293.png
    851 KB · Views: 48
Is the new float touching the cistern at all? If it is, angle it away. Also scrape off that silicone and plumbers mait (putty).

Attachments

• AD89530E-C2F3-410C-A98B-9D7894745FE1.jpeg
    AD89530E-C2F3-410C-A98B-9D7894745FE1.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 37
  • F9E43361-279F-4631-9716-5789A16BE8B6.png
    F9E43361-279F-4631-9716-5789A16BE8B6.png
    851 KB · Views: 38
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
And that is the angle of it because when it goes straight it hits the toilet and you can’t do the nut up

You need to find a way of fitting the valve vertically to the cistern. Either a different valve or fit the one you have properly. It'll never seal the way it is now.

You need to find a way of fitting the valve vertically to the cistern. Either a different valve or fit the one you have properly. It'll never seal the way it is now.
Which other valve would go ?

No way of telling from here. You need to work out why it sitting at such an angle first of all.
It can go straight but you can’t then get the nut on because the thread part literally hits the corner of the toilet. But once you angle it you can get it on. Maybe the other way is to lift it up
Slightly so I can screw the nut in and then once it’s screwed half way up then push the valve fully down to get it straight

It can go straight but you can’t then get the nut on because the thread part literally hits the corner of the toilet.

That just shouldn't happen. You may have to go back to square one and remove the cistern from the pan, check the pan is the correct distance from the wall to ensure the cistern is sitting correctly, then refit everything with new washers.

It can go straight but you can’t then get the nut on because the thread part literally hits the corner of the toilet. But once you angle it you can get it on. Maybe the other way is to lift it up
Slightly so I can screw the nut in and then once it’s screwed half way up then push the valve fully down to get it straight
Worth a try.
If you view the part I recommended you will see it is much thinner ,less bulky ,and won't hit the cistern side walls.
Is the nut that secures the valve hitting the pan ?

Worth a try.
If you view the part I recommended you will see it is much thinner ,less bulky ,and won't hit the cistern side walls.
Is the nut that secures the valve hitting the pan ?
Not it don’t hit the pan. It’s just the valve stem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back