Toilet nut

Sounds as if the stem is hitting the pan under the cistern which is all wrong.

Are the cistern and the toilet pan the same brand and colour I wonder.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the stem is hitting the pan under the cistern which is all wrong.

Are the cistern and the toilet pan the same brand and colour I wonder.
They seem to be the same colour. The cistern has lost its colour slightly due to age but only the inside. Being the same brand I have no clue.

Looking at the picture ,the threaded tail of the valve doesn't appear to be anywhere near the pan ,and if it was the nut would certainly hit the pan first as it's a much larger diameter.

Looking at the picture ,the threaded tail of the valve doesn't appear to be anywhere near the pan ,and if it was the nut would certainly hit the pan first as it's a much larger diameter.
When it’s straight you can’t screw the nut it will hit the corner ever so slightly. I think I made a mistake in my reply to you. I meant the nut not the stem my apologies

Sponsored Links
I assume it's one of those stupid plastic nuts ,with two " wings" sticking out ? If it is ,cut them off and it may well screw up. However ,if the valve itself is pushing against the inner walls of the cistern ,that's a problem, so change it.

I assume it's one of those stupid plastic nuts ,with two " wings" sticking out ? If it is ,cut them off and it may well screw up. However ,if the valve itself is pushing against the inner walls of the cistern ,that's a problem, so change it.
No worries just in case I’ll get that fill valve you said

I’m pretty sure this is the lock nut beneath the valve

Attachments

• 8B65B7D8-D815-44B7-AEBB-D9ABA834F51B.png
    8B65B7D8-D815-44B7-AEBB-D9ABA834F51B.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 58
  • EF376847-D429-4068-BECE-E7AB58AFD2D1.png
    EF376847-D429-4068-BECE-E7AB58AFD2D1.png
    295 KB · Views: 37
  • 50516B1E-3C6A-4F9D-8133-DB85FD900502.png
    50516B1E-3C6A-4F9D-8133-DB85FD900502.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 55
The nut on the valve pic is one with the wings that stick out, and can hit the pan.
The other is just a hexagonal nut ,with no bits that stick out.

The nut on the valve pic is one with the wings that stick out, and can hit the pan.
The other is just a hexagonal nut ,with no bits that stick out.
If you zoom in you can see that it has something sticking out. Looks like your right best bet to cut them and screw it on. I’m not sure exactly but looks like it has something on the sides

Attachments

• 9CA710F6-DEB0-40AA-A52E-C90378081642.png
    9CA710F6-DEB0-40AA-A52E-C90378081642.png
    851 KB · Views: 40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back