Toilet overflow dripping - have replaced washer, it's worse!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a dribbling outside overflow pipe for a few days.
DSC09136-1.jpg

I thought it was probably caused by the cistern washer so I have managed to replace it. Then I noticed the ballcock was catching on the plastic overflow pipe, and dismantled and reassembled the assembly to the right, (with the two blue plastic caps) attempting to tighten it a bit to free the ballcock, which did work. However, when I turned on the water and tested the cistern by lifting up the ballcock arm, water just kept streaming out of the outlet and I could not stop it. I tried turning the washer round in case I had inserted it the wrong way round but that hasn't worked. Now I am in a fix! Can anybody PLEASE help, and fast! :eek:

DSC09131.jpg

Sponsored Links
it must not be seated correct or abit of muck in there.
all it does is the centre pin pushes on the rubber diaphragm which
pushes on to the end of the flow restrictor.

If you cant get it to stop, worst case scenario is fit a new ballcock. I would replace the 15mm fibre washer on the connection to the ballcock under the cistern to be safe, and tighten carefully as a plastic will cross thread very easily.

strip it out and have a look at all the bits to see if you have replaced something wrongly, as we look down on the pic did you disconnect from the blue nut on the right? i would have to lift the valve out of the cistern to work on, if you did have you made sure the washer did not fall out and is inside the cistern, perhaps before you strip it out look carefully at where the water is leaking from, is it from the blue nut on the right or is it from the white part it should come from, perhaps you have dropped the pin out of the front section that pushes in against the washer, seems strange you have made it worse so it sounds like you have misplaced something

Sponsored Links
Thank you, kind sirs! I've done it! What a relief! Took me all afternoon :rolleyes: but success at last.

I have now noticed, however, that water appears to be seeping from the pipe underneath the cistern which connects to the plastic overflow pipe inside it. (I am SO glad to have a concrete floor and that the bathroom is downstairs!) I thought it might have been condensation but now not sure. Is it safe to tighten any of this up? Or should I just shut my eyes and hope it will go away?

DSC09146-1.jpg

looks cross threaded.

is it me or has the top nut slit down the side?

Hmmm. It does doesn't it? Awkward corner to get into and not sure what tools I should use .. being a woman, improvisation is my most useful one. Can I WD40 it or is that bad on plastic?

wd won't do much.
it needs loosening and refitting straight on the thread.

is it weeping from the top nut the one that looks like its split ?
or the one thats cross threaded ?

xz.png

Hmmm. It does doesn't it? Awkward corner to get into and not sure what tools I should use .. being a woman, improvisation is my most useful one. Can I WD40 it or is that bad on plastic?
WD40?? no, check very carefully the right hand side to see if it is cracked, if it is please be very careful, if you if you touch or twist it the water will start to pour from the cistern, perhaps turn the water off and flush it before you poke about with it, if it is cracked and comes loose at least there wont be much water to go on the floor, if cracked you must repalce the nut, (3/4") if not cracked the water is leaking from the lower as it has been overflowing, it wont leak again until the cistern overflows again (when you go on holiday!!) so best to fix it now, unscrew nut wrap PTFE tape round it and refit nut, then make cistern overflow by holding down the float to check it is ok, it does look as if the lower nut is on the wrong thread so it might be a bit tricky to seal, you may be easier getting a new overflow pipe(only a few £) and starting again, make sure you cut the new pipe to the same length as the old one before you fit it, and if you do decide to renew the whole pipe, empty cistern as much as possibe to save spilling water on floor when you take pipe out, (use a cloth to dry up as much as you can after you flush it)

dont want to hijack the post, BUT seco how do you add circle to someones pic to highlight something

i do it on software that i use to create stationary etc.

take the pic from here to my pics
then to the software progragm alter/resize it
save back to pics
then to photobucket
then back on here.

sounds long but took me few mins.

you can do it in paint take the pic their and alter it.

Here's a better pic -

th_DSC09152.jpg

It doesn't seem to be cross threaded. That gasket thingie at the top does look split, and I think that is where it is weeping.

Actually, that isn't a very good pic at all. :confused:

Kirkgas, I am not going to touch ANYTHING! Thank you for your sound advice. I have had absolutely enough plumbing for today and as long as I don't have to build an ark in the garden I am going to have a glass of wine and settle down with the telly. Anything good on?

You guys have been great - mind if I pick your brains again another time?

as said need to drain cistern and then you can change it.

that new pic you can't enlarge it so can't see it clearly

99% sure that backnut is cracked :cry: What you need is an overflow tank connector , then take the nut and rubber washer off the new one and fit on your existing one after emptying the cistern of water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back