Toilet overflow dripping - have replaced washer, it's worse!

Sponsored Links
I have some stupid resizer on my computer and can't seem to override it. Have a look at it from a different angle - it's definitely split! :eek:

dsc09160d.jpg

Sorry, it should be vertical.

Am I in very big trouble? It's been like that for years. Wondered where the water and mouldy smell were coming from. :cry:

What can I do?

flush the lavy drain the cistern and remove the overflow pipe and fit a new 3/4" nut.

personally i would convert it to a internal overflow.

I am completely ignorant what that means, seco. I just about changed the washer today and am exhausted. Are you trying to turn me into a plumber? That is very very scary. :eek:

I have just had a thought about why the nut split. The ballcock does tend to catch on it and push it out of the vertical. Is there anything I can do to make more space between the pipe and the ballcock?

Sponsored Links
although this has been like that for years you have been messing about inside the cistern today and could have made it worse, you need to change the split nut ASAP it could sheer and flood the place. if the ballvalve overflow pipe and syphon are all properly positioned they wont hit each other so either the ballcock or overflow pipe is at the wrong angle, drain the cistern, remove the overflow pipe and change the nut (3/4" required) refit overflow and see if it can be positioned away from the ball, some are angled so position it away from the ball, if it is a straight pipe you might need to move the ballvalve round a bit, while the cistern is empty loosen the nut securing the ballvalve to the cistern and turn the ballvalve from the inside so that the ball lifts and drops freely, tighten everything up, dry it off, turn on the water check everything THEN go and have your glass of wine, if you cant get a new nut from anywhere tonight i would seriuosly consider draining the cistern, (just in case)

them float valves are a pain in the ar*se for getting stuck on the cistern wall or overflow.

Much appreciation for all your kind advice and help. I will get it sorted asap.

OK - here's a quick fix bodge which will hold until you can face doing the job properly. Put a jubilee clip around the hexagonal part of the backnut and tighten it (the clip) until the crack in the nut closes up. You can then hand tighten the nut & hopefully it will seal. If it doesn't you might have to drain the cistern, loosen nut & clean up the accumulated grot and limescale first & maybe use PTFE or some sealant. That bottom cap nut still looks cross-threaded to me.

That is such a good idea! I have come to the conclusion that the seepage was caused by the water running into the overflow pipe over a few days and probably coming out through that crack as well as the outlet pipe on the wall. I don't really want to disturb things underneath, so perhaps the "bodge" will do the trick - till the next time the gasket needs replacing.

second that
tampering with the nut will probably just damage it even more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back