Toilet overflow pipe connector leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I noticed our toilet overflow connector pipe at the bottom of the cistern (see attached pic) was dripping when the overflow was in action. I think this has pretty much always been the case since the chap fitted it some years ago - obviously only happens when its overflowing into the internal pipe. Anyway the leak occurs at the bottom of the white plastic nut. I have not yet undone it all to inspect, I did try tightening the nut a bit and testing the overflow which seems like it was then a bit worse! The question I have though - simple plumbing question - is that to my mind the grey pipe at the bottom must be of a smaller diameter than the white pipe it is trying to connect to - so what would stop the water just dribbling out of the bottom of the nut - as it is - presumably some sort of washer in the bottom of the nut? I have tried wiping some grease around it to see if that helps things but at some point will undo the nut and have a look. Thanks in advance for any advice here.

Sponsored Links
There's often a plastic olive in there (which can benefit from a layer of silicone sealant) but try to stop the overflowing first!
It could be as simple as adjusting the water inlet valve.
John :)

Cheers John yes I have stopped the overflowing so not a mega prob but wanted to try and sort it out in case it happened again.

Sorry to show my ignorance but a plastic olive - is that like a washer? And where would I put the silicon, just run it around the inside of the nut? Thanks again.

The olive, if there is one, is very similar to the cooper ones used on brass compression fittings.
A smear of silicone on the outside of the grey pipe as you push it in will be fine.
(As I said before there may not be an olive - the seal may be in the form of a plastic lip inside the overflow pipe that does the same job - types vary).
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sometime you can get away with unscrewing the plastic nut and wrapping some PTFE tape around the top of the pipe then tighten back up the nut (hand tight).

Sometime you can get away with unscrewing the plastic nut and wrapping some PTFE tape around the top of the pipe then tighten back up the nut (hand tight).
PTFE tape sounds good, although wouldn't that apply more if the leak was from the top of the nut? I think it's coming from the bottom where the grey pipe goes in. Maybe a combination of PTFE tape plus silicon sealant on the grey pipe and around the join where it goes into the nut?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back