Toilet seat help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our toilet seat is super wobbly. Everytime I tighten up the screws it lasts maybe a day before it becomes wobbly again. I've tried to replace the seat tonight but only got this far as I can't get the actual bar bit off. I'm turning the screws but nothing seems to be happening. It's a wall mount toilet and there are no visible fixings so no nuts for me to try and loosen etc. Not helped by how old it all is and how badly damaged the actual screw head is!

Thanks
IMG_20191228_174348.jpg
IMG_20191228_174351.jpg
IMG_20191228_174354.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are a number of different fixings but you could reach under neath and see if you can hold them whilst unscrewing from the top.
Looking at the state of the screw head it may be worth asking someone else to unscrew them whilst you get more involved.
Otherwise can you pull upwards on the bar as you unscrew it?

I had a similar situation which involved me having to break the chrome caps to get proper access as everything was so corroded.

Hi
I can't get to any thing other than from the top down as its all enclosed... I think I might have to just start breaking it to get it off unfortunately! If anyone else has any hints or tips please let me know!

If you can’t get to the underneath, if you eventually get the bar off, how do you propose to fit a new seat?

Sponsored Links
Hi its a top fixing toilet seat I believe, but I'm not an expert by any means hence why I'm here.... All I know is there is nothing under the pan itself for me to undo or hold onto, it's fixed flush to the wall.

If you pull upward on the horizontal bar ,whilst turning the screw anti clockwise to unscrew ,the screw should remove completely. You will then be left with the expansion anchor left in the WC pan ,or there will be a toggle on the end of the screw.

I came across one where the bolt went into a butterfly spring toggle type securing wing and another longer spring held the two together for retrieval.
I don't know if that is what you have, but if it is you need to maintain an upward pull on the bolt until it is released. I also suspect that it would be very corroded. Perhaps try some WD40??

Blimey--someone types faster than me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back