Wobbly toilet seat with hidden fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a toilet seat like this

http://www.4bathrooms.co.uk/store/product/16411.php.

I estimate the Armitage SHanks loo and seat is about 30 years old

The toilet goes up to a wall with the cistern hidden behind the wall.

The loo seat has hidden fixings. Scroll down the link to see what I mean. It wobbles because where the fixings go there no longer seems to be any "purchase" ; on one side the screw rotates but does not release or tighten the fixing. On the other side the screw does not rotate very much but turns back to it original orientation.

I conclude that what ever is holding the screw may have degenerated.

What can I do to improve the situation, hopefully without pulling the whole toilet away from the wall

Help!!

Sponsored Links
If you can get a hacksaw blade between the seat fixings and the pan, cut the bolts off, then you can replace the fixings/seat

Thanks for suggestions.

Not sure if I get you right, but if I hacksaw off the bolt tops, I'm slightly fuzzy about how I will get the rest of the bolt out of the hole so I can put a new bolt fixing in?

I will try the pliars and screw thing.

Sponsored Links
if I hacksaw off the bolt tops, I'm slightly fuzzy about how I will get the rest of the bolt out of the hole so I can put a new bolt fixing in?

You don't, it'll drop down inside out of the way, where it will do absolutely no harm at all. If it doesn't drop down of it's own accord, poke it with a screwdriver.

if I hacksaw off the bolt tops, I'm slightly fuzzy about how I will get the rest of the bolt out of the hole so I can put a new bolt fixing in?

You don't, it'll drop down inside out of the way, where it will do absolutely no harm at all. If it doesn't drop down of it's own accord, poke it with a screwdriver.

Excellent, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back