Toilet siphon flushing much less water now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled.

I didn't do or change ANYTHING.

The problem: Now, when I flush, the siphon stops the flushing at a much higher level than before, flushing much less water than before. The flushing now stops every time at the hole you see on the picture. Before, it was stopping at one of the holes on the left (that is, at a much lower level).

Again: I didn't change ANYTHING. The hole the arrow is pointing to has always been unplugged.

Was it bad that I flushed without the siphon being covered with water? How can I make the siphon go back to flushing normally (that is, almost emptying the cistern)?

Thank you!

71hjBahcD+L._AC_SL1500_.png

Sponsored Links
You may have moved the float arm slightly causing it to bind with the cistern wall before it reaches the old level.Check the ball has free movement .

Have checked the water level since? As per @foxhole - you may have inadvertently disturbed the float arm

You may have moved the float arm slightly causing it to bind with the cistern wall before it reaches the old level.Check the ball has free movement .

The OP is saying that the siphon is releasing less water than it did previously. He doesn't seem to be saying that the cistern is not filling correctly.

Sponsored Links
Hello!

I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low level of water in the cistern, I flushed a couple of times. Then I let go of the float ball and the cistern was filled.

I didn't do or change ANYTHING.

The problem: Now, when I flush, the siphon stops the flushing at a much higher level than before, flushing much less water than before. The flushing now stops every time at the hole you see on the picture. Before, it was stopping at one of the holes on the left (that is, at a much lower level).

Again: I didn't change ANYTHING. The hole the arrow is pointing to has always been unplugged.

Was it bad that I flushed without the siphon being covered with water? How can I make the siphon go back to flushing normally (that is, almost emptying the cistern)?

Thank you!

View attachment 317719

Did you remove the siphon hook from the handle? If yes, what happens if you disconnect it again and manually pull the hook up?

Thanks, but can the float arm stop the siphon from flushing? I don't see the connection.

The problem is when I flush the water goes down, but the flushing process now stops earlier than before. No problem with the cistern being filled. It's just the flush that stops too soon now, but I don't know why (because I don't know how a toilet siphon works, for example if it has something to do with pressure).

PS: I didn't change or remove or disconnect anything. I just flushed 2 or 3 times when the water level was low. Now — because of that? — the flushing is shorter (stops earlier).

The hole at the side releases pressure earlier reducing the total flush .plug needs to go back in .
Thanks, but that hole (the red arrow on the picture) has always been open (unplugged). I didn't touch it (I don't even have any plug for it). The picture I attached is from Amazon and that hole comes unplugged. So, maybe it's supposed to stay unplugged?

It might sound silly, but are you flushing it correctly?

I long pull may release a lower load, a short pull may release more water. Try both.

Sorry, I edited my post. Yours is a dual flush siphon. Please try a long pull, and then a short pull.
Thanks, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with how I pull. The flushing process stopping earlier started after I flushed 2 or 3 times with a low water level (it was all I did). I don't know what changed inside the siphon/valve. The cistern fills up normally, I flush normally, but now the flushing process stops earlier.

Show us pics of your actual cistern inners,including the water level before flushing,and the position of the blanking caps on the siphon.

Show us pics of your actual cistern inners,including the water level before flushing,and the position of the blanking caps on the siphon.
I don't know what you mean with "blanking caps", but if you mean the little red caps on the holes you see on the original picture above, there are no caps. The little holes on the side (to make the flushing stop at that level) are all unplugged.
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-20 at 16.02.56(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-20 at 16.02.56.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back