Toilet siphon flushing much less water now

Sponsored Links
I don't know what you mean with "blanking caps", but if you mean the little red caps on the holes you see on the original picture above, there are no caps. The little holes on the side (to make the flushing stop at that level) are all unplugged.View attachment 317768View attachment 317769
Thats why it's not flushing a large volume ,there should be a blue bung ( blanking cap),in the higher of the holes on the side.
Put your thumb over that hole and flush ,it will flush a larger volume.
The water level looks a tad too high and appears to be close to the overflow outlet ?

Thats why it's not flushing a large volume ,there should be a blue bung ( blanking cap),in the higher of the holes on the side.
Put your thumb over that hole and flush ,it will flush a larger volume.
The water level looks a tad too high and appears to be close to the overflow outlet ?
If you mean the hole that is closest to the chain, (please, see the picture), it wasn't plugged before — and the flush was normal.

The holes that stop the flush are on the left side, close to the bottom, and they are unplugged (the flush was stopping there). Now it's stopping at a much higher level (above these holes).

As I said, I didn't change (unplug, etc.) anything. I just flushed 2 or 3 times with a low level of water. This problem started after that.
xxx.jpg

If the flushing stops at a higher level than the holes ( for the blue bungs ,on left side of Syphon) then air is entering somewhere near that level and breaking the syphonic action. Maybe there is a crack. I would suggest you replace the Syphon.

Sponsored Links
I want to thank you all for your help, but it looks like I found the solution, and it's one that makes me feel stupid:

I did NOT (!) know that if you pull the handle down and hold it down, the flush stops earlier (at a higher level). To have a full flush, you have to pull the handle down, but immediately RELEASE it.

It's not logical to me, but so it is.

OMG! I spent hours looking for the solution, nothing was actually broken and it was so simple.

I'm sorry I bothered you with this.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I want to thank you all for your help, but it looks like I found the solution, and it's one that makes me feel stupid:

I did NOT (!) know that if you pull the handle down and hold it down, the flush stops earlier (at a higher level). To have a full flush, you have to pull the handle down, but immediately RELEASE it.

OMG! I spent hours looking for the solution, nothing was actually broken and it was so simple.

I'm sorry I bothered you with this.

Thank you!
Erm, that is what I suggested in an earlier post (post #9)

Erm, that is what I suggested in an earlier post (post #9)
Correct, thank you, but (stupid as I am) I thought "short pull" means turning the handle just half way, or something. I didn't think you meant all the way down and then RELEASING the handle immediately. I thought only cisterns with a button on the top work like that (two different flushes).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back