Toilet trap keeps turning brown when not in use

Sponsored Links
I have a friend who's toilet does that. He thinks it's because it's connected to an iron drain directly after the U bend and the iron part is always wet. If you get my drift?

I have a friend who's toilet does that. He thinks it's because it's connected to an iron drain directly after the U bend and the iron part is always wet. If you get my drift?

From my experience of losing a steel screw down a toilet, the rust can stain porcelain for a very long time after the source is removed.

It seems to be poo etc appearing in the toilet trap. Is it likely a blockage or lack of vent causing it. If was a blockage could a plunger help remove.

Sponsored Links
It seems to be poo etc appearing in the toilet trap. Is it likely a blockage or lack of vent causing it. If was a blockage could a plunger help remove.

A plunger is unlikely to help. It could be either a blockage/obstruction in the pipe or lack of a vent. You can check for a blockage by lifting the manhole cover, then having someone operate the flush - the flushed water should very quickly appear and very quickly be gone.

The flushing one toilet affecting the level in the other, suggests their is no proper vent. They all do need a vent of some type.

There is no blockage I managed to look down the pipe via removing the external elbow where the soil pipe enters the building and replace with a tee and extend to have and external vent. But the problem has continued.

That is the lay out with flushing the toilet closest the sink leads to water going back up the toilet at the end of the run. Nearest the basin.

Attachments

• IMG20211021212259.jpg
    IMG20211021212259.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 52

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back