Toilet- water constantly running in to bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My loo has water running in to the bowl all of the time.

The cistern is concealed behind a tiled wall with access via the push button plate.

From memory, I think it is this Oli cistern.

https://www.oli-world.com/en/catego...nic-------------------/#Assembly Instructions

Every 30 seconds the cistern tops up for 2 or 3 seconds. Is it safe to assume that I just need to replace the outlet valve seal (part number 2 in the following PDF).

https://www.oli-world.com/download/190712050932657.pdf

Sponsored Links
Haven`t open the attachment but could be the fill valve not closing and water overflowing out as well.

Thanks for the reply.

If it was the inlet valve not closing, wouldn't that mean that the cistern would be constantly filling? At the moment I can only hear the water entering it every 30 seconds.

Looks like it ,but not the best of instructions. I can't tell if that seals between the valve base and cistern ,or it seals the outlet of the end of the drop valve. I think its the latter.

Sponsored Links
Looks like it ,but not the best of instructions. I can't tell if that seals between the valve base and cistern ,or it seals the outlet of the end of the drop valve. I think its the latter.

my (lay) understanding is that it seals the outlet of the drop valve. I have watched a couple of their slightly generic and non english videos. Unfortunately I cannot speak Italian...

If it has started to perish, would it result in water in the cistern running in to the bowl?

The rubber washer is only a couple of quid, the postage is more expensive but if you or someone else more knowledgeable than me says order it, I shall.

I'd rather do that than replacing the whole "drop" mechanism.

To answer your question ,yes ,water would continue to run into the toilet pan if the seal is blistered/ deformed etc . And the fill / float valve would open to top back up.
For a few quid its worth buying a new seal.
If you isolate the water supply ,and remove the drop valve ,you can inspect the seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back