Tongue and groove floor chipboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When laying this down as a floor in a new bedroom (underlay and carpet to go on top), do I go right against the wall at the edges or leave some room for expansion?

Sponsored Links
When installing from scratch and glueing all the joints I'll normally end 5 to 10mm shy of the walls (if only because I made need to get a pull bar in there to pull the joints up good and tight). In any case the gap will be covered by the skirting boards, which are generally 15 to 22mm thick

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend getting a piece if 4 x 2 CLS about 5 to 6ft long and borrowing a 14lb sledge hammer to pull (bully) the joints up nice and tight (the CLS prevents you damaging the tongues and the sledge hammer used against it will generally "persuade" the joints together nice and tight within a couple of lightish taps - far easier than using a tapping block and a joiners hammer TBH). The last row of boards (often with a rip cut) may well need a pull bar of some description, such as one of these:

Flooring Pull Bar 001_01.jpg

which is another reason for leaving a few millimetres gap - to get the hook in on the last row

Sponsored Links
a gap is also good as it stops any dampness in the wall directly transferring to the flooring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back