Tonight's challenge - help me get my electricity back on!

OK - bit of an update.

Whilst repairing the socket in loft, I took apart a socket in one of the bedrooms to check which wires went where - when I just went back to look at it, it looks like the screw had gone through one of the red live wires.

I've replaced the screw and moved the wire awy, powered back on but the sockets still don't work.

Could this have been the problem? Has my repeated fiddling with the consumer unit broken something else?

Sponsored Links
If a short is particualrlly high current or the breaker is old or dodgy its not unheared of for a fault to destroy a breaker.

i'd reccomend replacing the breaker in question after fixing the short (use sleeving if you can't cut the wire back).

Hi plugwash,

Can i wrap electrical tape around the wire (it's only a very minor gash)?

Is replacing the breaker something I can do myself? Do I just buy one from B&Q? Is it safe!?

Ta

Simon

This is my consumer unit with what I reckon is the dodgy breaker labeled:

cu.jpg

Is it just a matter of unscrewing the two screws above and below, pulling out the red wire above, pulling out the breaker and replacing it all the same way?

Is this safe for a 'normal person' to do? Are the red wires live?

Hope you can help. Failing that, I'll have to try Mr Electric again and nobody should be forced to do that!!!

Simon

Sponsored Links
do you have a multimeter or a volt stick or failing that ( shudder.... ) a neon screwdriver will do as a last resort.. ( did I really just say that?.. I feel dirty... ) ?

there really is no excuse for not owning a multimeter these days, they only cost about a tenner..

first check to make sure the breaker in question is knackered..

VERY CAREFULLY turn the power on and all the breakers and use the multimeter to see if you have power on the red cable side of all the breakers..

if you do then the breaker is fine and it's a cable fault somewhere...

Thanks ColJack - will nip to B&Q on my way home from work and pick up a multimeter.

Thanks for your help by the way - I really appreciate it.

Watch this space!

Simon

Read the instructions to your multimeter thoroughly BEFORE attempting any live testing and do not do it at all if you feel it is beyond your capabilities.

Get a battery and bulb and some wire and do some low voltage circuit testing. measure the current through the bulb etc etc BEFORE going onto the power. The difference is use DC ranges for the battery bulb and use AC ranges for the mains.

that's a very confusing post bernard...

DO NOT CONNECT THE BULB AND BATTERY TO THE MAINS....

he means to use it for practicing with your multimeter..

Sorry guys - I've had to give up :(

I can't make head nor tail of the multimeter I bought - doesn't even tell you what to stick where!! I'm a little reluctant to have a 'play' as I like being alive :)

I can cope with half the plug sockets until Monday at which point I'll try electricians again!!

Thanks for all your advice - I'll let you know what happens!

Simon

post a pic of the meter and we'll tell you what to put where...

generally the black lead goes in the com terminal ( or the black plug.. )
the red goes in the one marked ~V

turn the dial to AC volts on the next setting above 240 ( usually 400 )

red probe goes to the screw terminal of the breaker ( top one )

black probe goes ot the earth bar..

Hi again ColJack,

Can you confirm using this picture:

cu2.jpg

I hold the plastic part of the red probe and touch the metal bit on the end of the probe on the screw circled red.

I hold the plastic part of the black probe and touch the metal bit on the end of the probe on the screw circled black?

Am I right in thinking as long as keep hold of the plastic bits of the probes and don't touch the metal bits I'm ok!?

Thanks again.

Simon

Yes, with the multimeter set to measure volts AC at 400V max. It really matters not, which way around you probe. Dont forget to turn the power on for this test though!!! :LOL:

If the MCB is ok, it will give a reading of about 230-240v. It its dead, it will not give a reading.

Thanks Crafty, I've found my testicles and plucked up enough courage to do it!!!

I've confirmed what we probably guessed higher up this thread that there is no power from that breaker so I guess it needs replacing.

Back to my previous question - is this something I can do myself?

Where would I get one from (assuming I need to get one the same from reading other posts on here?)

Simon

EDIT - I love this way the forum has replaced the biological word for 'balls' with stars!!!!

B&Q might do GE breakers, not too sure.

But, yes, you can do it yourself. The screw at the bottom secures the MCB to the busbar, and the top one to the wire. There will also be a clip at the back securing it to the DIN rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back