Tons of air in rads all the time how can I remove it???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just recently I replaced the 3 port valve and pump for my central heating system,Rightly or wrongly I drained the emersion heater tank.

I now have alot of air that I contsatnly have to bleed from the radiators upstairs for about 30 secs each rad each time I run the system,All get hot after bleeding.
Lots of air comes out first followed by water.

How can I get shot of this air? or do i just keep bleeding the rads for god knows how long?

Its an oil fired boiler by the way.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks Aaron

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that there is a low from F/E tank into the system? Do this by draining a litre or two from a drain valve while someone watches the water level. Make sure the ball valve opens before the level reaches the feed pipe. If this is OK:

1. Turn system off and allow water to cool down
2. Lock the mid-pos valve in the manual position
3. Make sure any TRVs are not stuck shut
4. Bleed rads on the ground floor
5. Bleed rads on first floor
6. Repeat 4 and 5 until no air appears.
7. Unlock mid pos valve
8. Turn system on
9. Reset TRVs

I have an update:

lots of banging in pipes,trapped air?

cant get radiators to fill with water upstairs just air no water coming out of bleads,downstairs are always full when i check,water tank in loft is full and ,pump is new and pumping strong,3 possition valve is new and working.

Any further ideas would be much apreciated,Thanks

just cause the tanks full don't mean its getting into system.

cold feed pipe may be blocked.

Sponsored Links
Im not sure which pipe this is as it enters the airing cupboard?? is there a way i can check?

if you shut or tie up the ball valve mark the water level in the tank then drain a bowl full from downstairs draincock etc.
then check the tank level, bet it hasn't gone down.

if you shut or tie up the ball valve mark the water level in the tank then drain a bowl full from downstairs draincock etc.
then check the tank level, bet it hasn't gone down.

ok i can try this,so i drain from where downstairs sorry? im not as clued up as id like here.

Ta

tie or shut off ball valve feed
mark water level
drain lowest rad or draincock.

If seco is right (and he usually is), then you could try connecting a hose to the drainoff valve and forcing water backward by attaching the hose to a tap. If this works, then drain, flush through until water is clear, then desludge and add inhibitor as per (chemical - eg fernox) manufacturers instruction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back