Too high a voltage

She is getting through ordinary bayonet lamps like there is no tomorrow.
Buy her some CFLs.

10p each today in my local Tesco.

As well as saving energy they are very tolerant of voltage fluctuations.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Sponsored Links
I have used both isolation and auto transformers for tunnel boring machines and tower cranes 11kv to 10kv and 240v to 220v but this is expensive and I would first try DNO then if that fails use HF florescent lighting many of the compacts are HF and can take variable voltage better. But not any inductive florescent units.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
She is getting through ordinary bayonet lamps like there is no tomorrow.
Buy her some CFLs.

10p each today in my local Tesco.

As well as saving energy they are very tolerant of voltage fluctuations.

I am going to try this again with her. The problem is she has these fancy light fittings that are all verdigris (green metal to me) and they do not look good with CFL's. But it will be her choice.

try CFL candles or small globes, if they show. I reckon they look fine, and far better than CFL sticks.

Sponsored Links
When I came across the same problem a while ago I contacted the DNO who came out and attached voltage recorders to their cutout. They then came back after a week and took the recorders away. After they looked at the data they then came back and, as elfist2 says, altered the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back