Too hot...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry to say it but this weather is too hot for me. I left work early because I felt like I was melting and the car told me it was 31 degrees outside! When I got home I couldn't do much, couldn't go to the gym, couldn't take the dog for a walk...just too hot!
Generally I would just grin and bear it for a few days but the problem is that we are going to Spain on Thursday to stay with my sis-in-law and I spoke to her on the phone 5 minutes ago and she told me that it was 39 degrees today and 29 degrees right now! In the dark!
I asked her what they did during the day, expecting her to say that they are all used to it by now and they just carry on as normal but she told me that in the afternoons they stay inside the house and pull all the blinds down!
My wife is actually looking forward to the heat but she is obviously quite mad.
What about you lot, do you like it to be sweltering? Is it hot enough for you?

Sponsored Links
My endless pool helps :D

All the benefits of a full size pool at only 8 x 15 feet :cool:

p.s. I expect this post to be deleted for advetising ;)

I don't mind the heat, as long it's only at weekends, during the week i'm working in peoples lofts, :( and you can imagine how hot it is up there, :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I hate too much heat and I am obsessed with air conditioning. I have it in the office, my car, and upstairs in my house. The indoor units are inverters so we use them for heating in the winter and they are absolutely brilliant and cheap to run. I used to die in my office every summer and as we computerised over the years the waste heat from all the kit just made it unbearable

When I get home at half six I shut all the bedroom doors and windows turn the air con on and by bedtime it's lovely and cool. I really enjoy the hot weather because I only go in it when I want to

It's become a very affordable technology even if you only buy one of the portable units so don't suffer get out and buy one now. It's a bit like central heating in the 1970's, it was a bit of a new fangled idea at the time and now we take it for granted. Go anywhere in Europe where they have hot summers and they all have it

I have had aircon everywhere for the last 15 years. My conservatory (12m x 7m) has 15Kw of aircon and can reduce th 50 deg C (Yesterday) down to a dry 19 deg C in about 20 minutes. All other rooms 4 bedrooms plus granny flat have 12,000 btu and living room & Kitchen 15,000btu. Even my shed / workshop has 12,000 btu in there :cool:

All of the units are heat pumps as well so we get heating in winter too. We have found the most cost effective way is to let the gas heating system maintain a background level eg 18 deg or so 24 hours per day and then use the individual aircon to bring the temp up to typically 21 deg C

Many people don't work well when the perceived temp is high, in actual fact it's the humidity that causes the heavy / drowsy feeling. Yesterday my liviving room was 31 C and humidity 60%, later the temp was down at 29 C with Humidity at 30% and it almost felt chilly!

Fit it all youself, it's easy if you're slightly adept at diy, good bargains to be had on ebay if you look around.

Regards - JB

I just 'sit-it-out' :LOL: :LOL:
Drink enough (water, tea, coffee), all windows and doors open to let the breeze in and stay relaxed. there's not much else you can do.
(I 'hate' airco's indoors, the minute you have to go out the heath will definitely hit you even worse; know I would get a 'summer'-cold and I think it's also a waste of energy. Where I used to work before, there were always big arguments about the airco temperature: up a bit, down a bit ;))

Unbelievably the advice given by a doctor on yesterdays BBC news was to keep the windows shut to keep the heat out. Perhaps they want us all to suffocate. I haven't got air cond but all doors and windows in the house stay open all day to capture any breeze and I keep the curtains closed.

Works for me.

i like the cold,you can put more layers of clothes on and keep wrapped up.theres nothing better than sitting in front of a real fire blazing away while its chilly outside.also when you've stripped off in the heat you'll still be hot but when its cold you just wrap up.bit sad really but living up north i'm used to it.

I don't like it too hot either and I'm another big fan of air con. Only have it in the bedroom though but I wouldn't be without it.

I also recommend a thermometer that tells you the inside and outside temps. Then if the temp is higher outside than inside you keep the doors and windows closed to keep the heat out. If it's lower outside than inside then open everything and let the cool air in. It took my wife a while to grasp the concept but I think she's finally cracked it. :D

The english are a funny lot...complain about cold, complain about heat, complain if it's too wet, complain if it's too dry...!

And yet so many want to escape our weather to go to even hotter or colder places on holiday.. :LOL:

And now we have the 'technology' to control our 'immediate climate', and yet all it's doing is using up even more energy!!

The 'sheds' were piled high with patio heaters a short while ago, and now it's air con!

Most people have survived without these 'wonders' for ages, so just enjoy the variations!! The gadgets just make you even more unprepared to deal with the 'extremes' - such as they are in the UK!

Use more energy, the place will get hotter still, and then we'll get more expensive/wasteful technology to deal with it and so on.... ;)

Got myself an electric plug-in fan on a stand about 2 years ago in the summer sales for £10. It sits in the living room during the summer and in the loft during the winter. :D

Still going strong and even cheaper than aircon

I'm also glad I've lost some weight during Winter and Spring, much better 'cooler' and healthier of course

WoodYouLike said:
I'm also glad I've lost some weight during Winter and Spring, much better 'cooler' and healthier of course

Now that has merit...

Given that the government is so driven by tables/stats, then maybe we could have 'temperature intollerance/weight' figures published... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back