Hot enough for ya?

Torrential thunderstorms near Thetford today. Started again as I left work at 4.30 and have to admit that driving through Thetford Forest on the B1106 was the worst weather I have ever driven in! Heavy sheet rain falling through the trees so the wipers were on super fast and still not coping. Doing no more than 30mph on a 60mph road you were able to see the white dotted line down the centre. Unfortunately, even though the lines were quite clearly visible they were under at least 4" of water. In a few places the water was up to the sill on my Peugeot Partner but, thankfully, with it being a relatively high car I was able to get through. Sadly a fiesta and a corsa, in two different places, never managed it going in the opposite direction. Both drivers standing under trees in the pouring rain on their phones. No doubt to a garage or towing company. I do not want to experience that again, and I consider that I have driven in a number of difficult weather conditions over the years.

Sponsored Links
Oh, I had a PP van, comfy to drive but not very well made - fell apart quick!

More rain today and noticed last night some sort of fluffy fungus on patches of my lawn. It's killing the lawn remarkably quick, so off to go get some chemicals from the garden centre..

You want a Honda.
All my life I have been averse to Japanese cars because my Mum had a Civic in the 70's that was a rotbox.
RND 557R only lasted 11 years, with extensive and major repairs to the body shell due to corrosion.

But lately, their bodywork is much much better, night and day.

We have a Honda Diesel and it's been great. Word says Toyota is even better for reliability.

I've had 2 French cars, they were both crap. Mind you I had a "bullet proof" Toyota Landcrusier that was unreliable.

Most reliable car I've ever had was a Vauxhall cavalier.... utterly bullet proof, if rather average in all departments.

Sponsored Links
Oh, I had a PP van, comfy to drive but not very well made - fell apart quick!

More rain today and noticed last night some sort of fluffy fungus on patches of my lawn. It's killing the lawn remarkably quick, so off to go get some chemicals from the garden centre..

I used to have one from work when I was seconded as site engineering manager to Heinz. Refused to use my own car as it would clock up the mileage so, (at my suggestion), they hired a small van for me. (It meant I could leave Heinz early and drop repairs back at base ;)). Had it for 2 years and then when I was recalled back to base they wanted to go and work in Chesterfield for 2 weeks. I said only if I can keep the van for travelling there each week. The 2 weeks turned into 3 months because the manager kept saying he needed me, LOL Stayed in a Premier Inn 5 nights a week and travelled home at weekends. I loved that van and thats what persuaded me to go for the car variant. Had it 5 years now and apart from a few repairs it has lasted well. Mind you, I don't drive it like a works van so that probably helps.

They are nice to drive and sounds silly, I spent a long time sitting in it for work and was very comfy too. I got the van for work and then they brought out the car version, thought it looked good, esp if drove the same. I did my research on small vans and they came up well, I just think I got a duck. Spent £6k on it 2nd hand, spent anther 3k on it a week after the 3 month warranty ran out and then it just slowly fell apart over the next 3 years. I did get nearly 250 thousand miles on the clock though! :) :)

I paid 6k for mine as well. Got 92k on the clock and hoping to get many more, though it's 10 years old now.

been working nights past couple of days doing an engine test, its a genset for an oil rig, its a project ive been managing the past year, and i'm wishing the hot weather was back, its ruddy cold in the middle of the night with the damp cold air.

Mind you I had a "bullet proof" Toyota Landcrusier that was unreliable.
It's no coincidence that almost every time there is a news clip of an insurgency/civil war, the vehicle with a gun mounted on it is a Toyota.

A lot of lives would probably have been saved if they'd chosen Land Rovers instead ;)

It's no coincidence that almost every time there is a news clip of an insurgency/civil war, the vehicle with a gun mounted on it is a Toyota.

A lot of lives would probably have been saved if they'd chosen Land Rovers instead ;)

Landcrusiers are the go to choice where breaking down isn't an option, how the heck I got a bit of a Lemon is beyond me. They're built to order BTW, so yours really has been built just for you.

Mind you it's still MOT'ed & Taxed.

Landcrusiers are the go to choice where breaking down isn't an option, how the heck I got a bit of a Lemon is beyond me. They're built to order BTW, so yours really has been built just for you.

Mind you it's still MOT'ed & Taxed.
We toured Namibia in a fairly old converted Land Cruiser, eight people plus driver , trailer with luggage, 3000 kilometres on dirt roads sometimes felt your fillings were getting shaken out, never missed a beat only snag was the trailer hitch thingy cracked, got it welded up in Swakopmund, the tyres were huge beasts

Sponsored Links
Back