SJW's

When I worked in Liverpool a number of years back, one of the guys left his company car on his drive with the engine running. Popped back in to pick up his wallet and someone drove off in the car with over £20,000 worth of various test equipment in the boot. Reported it to police who told him he could be charged with leaving a vehicle unattended and the insurance simply refused to pay out. Car was eventually found burnt out, (including the equipment which didn't appear to have been discovered in the boot), so the total cost was over £40,000

Sponsored Links
When I worked in Liverpool a number of years back, one of the guys left his company car on his drive with the engine running. ...........................................and someone drove off in the car

Hmm. Why doesn't that surprise me?

I'm a regular visitor to Liverpool. I go there twice a year to visit my hubcaps. :)

In the same way that a vehicle used on private land (your own driveway or track etc) does not need insurance or tax or MOT.
Asfaik, nowadays that applies only if you have a current SORN on it.

Sponsored Links
Hmmmmm.
https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification
Plus, if you don't insure it (assuming it is not SORN'd), they can fine you and clamp the vehicle??
When it's on private land? Surely not?

More and more a Police State.
Yep...

Apparently you also have to SORN any old car that you may be doing up even if it was registered decades ago or been of the road for decades!

Thus if a vehicle on private land doesn't have a SORN, it requires Tax and Insurance.
What I can't work out is does that mean it also requires an MOT for insurance purposes?

Edit: I think that not only are they using it as a money maker, but it also tries to prevent racking up NCD?

I remember many years ago when I didn't actually need a car, keeping insurance going on a cheap rated one that never went on the road in order to do just that!

Last edited:
It was sounding quite appealing, but now you're revealed the real location I've gone right off the idea.
It's not Bradford, it's in City of Bradford, Haworth is a small town/village within Bradford. It's very pretty, as is Keighley & Ilkley near by. Most of Yorkshire outside of the cities is pretty imo.

It's not Bradford, it's in City of Bradford, Haworth is a small town/village within Bradford. It's very pretty, as is Keighley & Ilkley near by. Most of Yorkshire outside of the cities is pretty imo.
Yes its a nice area, although we took some Aussie visitors to Haworth, took a wrong turn into Keighley and turned round in an industrial area, the wife of the couple muttered " I didn't think there were horrible places like this in England", later that day she walked out of cafe because we were given dessert spoons to eat soup

Hmmmmm.
https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification
Plus, if you don't insure it (assuming it is not SORN'd), they can fine you and clamp the vehicle??
When it's on private land? Surely not?

More and more a Police State.
A mates brother left his car on a free council car park for several weeks, it was bit tatty but fully legal, someone reported it as dumped, council parking attendant wrote the number down getting a digit wrong, which was a MOT failure, no insurance etc from Devon, same model, different colour, car was impounded and crushed

Yes its a nice area, although we took some Aussie visitors to Haworth, took a wrong turn into Keighley and turned round in an industrial area, the wife of the couple muttered " I didn't think there were horrible places like this in England", later that day she walked out of cafe because we were given dessert spoons to eat soup
She sounds delightful :LOL:

Yep...

Apparently you also have to SORN any old car that you may be doing up even if it was registered decades ago or been of the road for decades!

Thus if a vehicle on private land doesn't have a SORN, it requires Tax and Insurance.
What I can't work out is does that mean it also requires an MOT for insurance purposes?

Edit: I think that not only are they using it as a money maker, but it also tries to prevent racking up NCD?

I remember many years ago when I didn't actually need a car, keeping insurance going on a cheap rated one that never went on the road in order to do just that!

An MOT is not required for insurance purposes but many (most/all?) providers will drop from fully comp to third party cover only in this case.

Un - ****ING - Believable.

Thank you all for giving me the best . . . I do not know whether to laff or cry.

Sponsored Links
Back