Too late to paint outside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally managed to get some time to do some painting in my garden.
I want to paint the:
  • wooden fence panels with this Ronseal fence paint.
  • drain pipes and metal garage door with Hammerite products.
  • garage brick wall with something like this Sandex paint.
Also, the garage side door but I can paint that indoors.

The question is, is the temperature now too low to paint any of these surfaces? Obviously they will take a lot longer to dry but I'm wondering if there will be problems when drying overnight even though there's no forecast for rain for the next few days?

Weather Forecast.JPG

Might seem a dumb question but wanted to check first to save myself of any embarrassment when neighbours see me painting!

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
the fence treatment is not a paint but a water-based stain. It has to dry before rain or it will wash off. If you wait for a sunny day and do one panel at a time, you have a fair chance it will dry in the sun. If not, do it again. it's quite cheap.

if the sandtex is rained on, it will leave unsightly stains on your paving and any brickwork beneath it.

paints are not likely to work well in cold, damp weather. You should not apply them to damp surfaces. Isn't there a manufacturer's instruction on the tin?

Hammerite is a particularly horrible paint.

edit
manufacturer says "Sandtex Ultra Smooth Masonry Paint

Ultra Smooth waterproof paint suitable for most dry, exterior masonry surfaces."

"New surfaces usually require little preparation, but must be completely dried out before painting"

Thanks for your help.

Stain was the word I was looking for when typing my post! I basically meant anything you brushed on.

What I'm trying to say is even though it doesn't rain for the next few days, could it still be a problem because of moisture in the air such as the way the grass is either wet or damp in the morning (dew) despite not raining?

I think the Ronseal 'stain' states the temperature needs to be above 10 degrees but does that mean constantly, a couple of hours etc?

Anyways, it looks like it's a risk especially when painting something like a metal garage door. It's just frustrating now that I have the time.

I just wonder how the professionals do it in the winter or maybe they just don't?

Thanks again.

I think that if the humidity is high, and especially if there is dew, it will not dry, in the same way that if you left a coat outside, it would be damp or wet in the morning.

Sponsored Links
The word 'bugger' comes to mind. I fear I was just kidding myself when even with my limited knowledge I could sense the truth.
I still at least might give the fence panels a go as it won't matter that much if they succumb to any influence from nature's wee.

Thanks again.

Unless it's a primer, Hammerite products are not good on large areas such as a garage door, it will sag and run before you have time to spread it out.

It's only good for narrow things like railings IMO.

Don't bother with Ronseal fence paint - it fails incredibly quickly. I have found Cuprinol Ducksback and Johnstone's fence paint to be longer lasting - though it still fails in a relatively short time span.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back