Tool to cut out floorboard section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut out a section of floorboard (approx 1300 × 500 mm) to install a hearthstone in front of my fireplace. Floorboards look like the interlocking chipboard variety & are lying on a solid stone / concrete base - what would be the best tool to use to get this done?

Sponsored Links
you can get a flooring blade for a reciprocal saw
otherwise a circular saw set about 0.5mm less than the flooring depth
or an osccilating saw run along a strait edge with another thickness off timber under the machine nose to run against to stop the plunge depth the 0.5mm short

you can get a flooring blade for a reciprocal saw
otherwise a circular saw set about 0.5mm less than the flooring depth
or an osccilating saw run along a strait edge with another thickness off timber under the machine nose to run against to stop the plunge depth the 0.5mm short
Or,

litl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 511
Sponsored Links
Circular saw set 1mm below the depth of the chipboard (i.e 19mm or 23mm - domestic floors are often 18mm, sometimes 22mm) and dropped in with a plunge cut then the corners taken out with a hand saw, jigsaw, hammer and chisel will be the fastest option. A multitool will take ages in comparison and gettin a straight line is all but impossible over any distance, especially with low cost blades

Circular saw set 1mm below the depth of the chipboard (i.e 19mm or 23mm - domestic floors are often 18mm, sometimes 22mm) and dropped in with a plunge cut then the corners taken out with a hand saw, jigsaw, hammer and chisel will be the fastest option. A multitool will take ages in comparison and gettin a straight line is all but impossible over any distance, especially with low cost blades

It's on a solid concrete base though and it also butts up to the edge of the fireplace - don't think the blade of a circular saw will reach far enough forward to allow me to cut up to the brickwork.

I agree a Multitool is not the fastest but unlike JAK for whom I suspect "time is money" it is a jolly handy tool and one that has made the virtually impossible possible for me.
You could do the longest cut with something faster but for the return into the wall it would be ideal.
As for cutting a straight line I have not found it a problem but if you were less confident, if you lay the slate/hearthstone in position with a thin strip of something to use to protect the slate and blade it would act as a guide and clearance spacer to drop th slate in?
litl

Last edited:
A multitool is an absolute must for any DIYer, currently doing a full renovation myself and its been an absolute godsend for cutting out floorboards.

Plus another vote for the multitool. The Fein gear is brilliant for getting those akward jobs done.

Nozzle

Thanks for the advice. Multitool from local hire shop was what I did in the end. Hard work - not maintaining a straight line but just cutting right through the board all the way round - probably had too fine a blade. Just as well it came with 2 batteries ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back