tools for accurate cutting of cast iron fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently trying to fit a cast iron fireplace at home and I have had to replace the bars. The closest match that I could come up with was some free standing reproduction ones also made from cast iron.

Unfortunately these have flared edges at the base which I need to remove . These can be seen on the linked pictures, marked with a chalk line, and are a bit of an awkward shape.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93959427@N00/1438357990/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/939594...72157602155167911/?rotated=1&cb=1190729121937

I have no idea of how to go about cutting these off and have even less experience in this sort of thing.

Does any one have any thoughts about the best way to go about this?

I was intending to hire and angle grinder but I'm a little worried about how easy they are to handle, particularly as the cut would need to be quite accurate and the area being cut is not flat.

Sponsored Links
just cut it with a hacksaw 24tpi then draw file the edge smooth if that going to be seen

Would suggest an angle grinder, 4" with metal cutting disc should be more than sufficient.
Just cut oversize and then tidy up with the same but with a grinding disc fitted [same but thicker]
Being cast though you need to avoid any big snags or shock loadings.
Run over the line with the grinder to mark it and quietly go back an forth scoring it through.
Don't try to cut it as if you were sawing through top to bottom.
You could end of veering off course and buggering the whole thing up or twisting the disc and smashing that or the grate or sending a grinder at your face.

Simple job, just use the right gear and go steady.

Or take it to a blacksmith / fabrication company and they'd do it for you in 5 mins with a 9" grinder..... probably safer, and quicker. And potentially cheaper!!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back