tools from America

Sponsored Links
Surely the shipping makes it uneconomical?

joe-90";p="2514815 said:
Surely the shipping makes it uneconomical?[
/quote]

good point ,but some of the prices are very good and may offset that
also some of the tool are not available yet ,such as some really cool bostitch nailer and compressor deals the compressors look light and compact .

Sponsored Links
I have.

No problems but it all depends on who you are buying off.

Don't forget to allow for the VAT and import duty, and the courier's fee for paying these on your behalf before they will deliver to your address

Was very tempted a few years back to buy some Porter Cable tools when the exchange rate was like 2 dollars to our pound. I know on a woodworking forum a guy bought a router from the US replaced the plug and i works fine off a site transformer.

Was very tempted a few years back to buy some Porter Cable tools when the exchange rate was like 2 dollars to our pound. I know on a woodworking forum a guy bought a router from the US replaced the plug and i works fine off a site transformer.

there seems to be some different opinions here I take it that americans trade tools are 110v. as they say the truth is out there

there seems to be some different opinions here I take it that americans trade tools are 110v. as they say the truth is out there

They are 120V, designed for a 60Hz system. They may work on a site transformer. They may not. They may work with significantly reduced lifetime. It depends on the type of motor.

Buying a tool designed to work on 110V or 240V, 50Hz, will work. Every time.

voltage range is usually 110-125 volts and the frequency the tools will work on can be 50/60hz.
Was looking on eBay before and there is a seller selling a Porter Cable 690 router and other USA tools.
When i consodered it i looked on a site called coastal tool dot com some online stores will not ship outside of the states. If you look at the tools on offer in the USA they look so much more robust than the products offered over here.

when the exchange rate was 2:1 i brought most of my cordless powertools from the usa. I got a milwaukee V28 rip saw for around £220 delivered with 2 batts..... screwfix price at the time was £519.00.

its not really cost effective now, if you do get stung for vat then it works out more that uk prices. There are some tools you can only get from the usa tho, and you have to buy from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back