Tools stolen?, ever got them back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not had mine stolen yet but just wondered what people do to keep theirs safe.

Over the years I've amassed quite a selection of powertools, mostly Makita, Dewalt and Bosch and I'm getting worried now that if they were ever stolen I would be totally stuffed.

The ones I have to keep in my van are well hidden and would not be found by the average smash and grab thief. The rest are at home in garge and although padlocked away once they're in the garge they will get the tools.

Most of my mates in the trade have all been done at one time or another but so far I've been lucky, maybe because my van doesn't have a sliding door?

I have pictures and serial numbers of all tools but even with these what are the chances of ever getting them back? Also I've melted my company name, phone number and postcode into all tools with a soldering iron.

Sponsored Links
There is very little you can do, at one company I worked for they got van safes for the power tools and bolted these to the floor, the thieves broke in and crowbarred the safe from the floor, then we welded the safe to the floor, the thieves then took the van and opened the safe with a disc cutter.
We did do a lot of work in London though, the record was staying out near the dome, came down for breakfast and 11 vans had been broken into overnight in the hotel car-park..

mmm.....

I suppose all you can do is make sure you've got tool cover. I'm so careful where I leave my van even if its just for 20mins.

In a carpark for instance I'll either reverse up to a wall or barrier (touching bumper) or park under the cameras.

Never park in the centre of a carpark as most cameras don't see these areas.

Years ago whilst working for the local council, a plumber turned up at the house we were refurbishing. He had a small generator chained and padlocked to his van. At dinnertime he turned it off. Within half an hour it had gone. :eek:
He came back the next day and another genny had been bolted to the floor of his van. That one lasted a day an a half before being stolen. Some cheeky, brazen thief had unbolted it.
A week later the plumber turns up. This time the genny had been bolted to the floor, but the nuts had been welded to the bolts. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
One idea I heard of ages ago was spray painting over the whole tool(s) with a bright colour. Although it comes off in patches you can never get it out of all the nooks and crannies making them easily identifiable. It also makes them look a lot less desirable. Never done it myself though.
Twenty odd years ago I left my Mini van out in front of our cottage in a small Cornish village. The back was full of my electrical kit, tools and cable etc. I got back in the dark, opened the back door of the van for something, went into the cottage and forgot it. Went out next morning and the door was still open with all the kit still there. The farmer who walked past every morning said he didn't like to mess with it or words to that effect. Even at that time, down here in Cornwall I reckon I was lucky!

Insurance dear boy, insurance!

Having said that, even they're at it ... or at least the loss adjusters are.

15 years ago my lock-up was screwed and the scum had a load of tackle away. Insurance company informed, loss adjuster attended and sniffed around and was satisfied it was all a genuine theft. Obviously, the Boys-in-Blue had been out to 'investigate' ... hopeless lot!

Thankfully, I had the receipts for most of the tackle and where I didn't I luckily had instruction manuals (the loss adjuster accepted these - the manuals) as proof that I did own the tackle I was claiming for. So the whole claim was accepted. Now this is where the tale get murky ...

I priced everything up locally and I could replace the lot for just over 10 grand but the loss adjusters policy was for them to order replacements and have them delivered directly to me. Two stacked pallets arrived with all the tackle ... however, the delivery note had the invoice attached (this should not have come to me but should have gone to the loss adjusters) and guess how much this invoice was for ... 17 grand! Clearly, the loss adjusters were going to screw the insurance company for 7 grand. This did not represent their fee. I contacted the insurance company and told them this tale but they weren't really interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back