Carrying Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you guys carry your basic hand tools? Tool bag/belt/box, pant pockets? any other method? and what are the main things you usually carry??

In most cases i find i can get away with a blade screwdriver and a pair of pliers in my back pocket, i keep all my other hand tools in a toolbag which i leave near where im working, i have been thinking about getting a tool belt and pouch but was wondering if it is worth the expense?

thanks for any info you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Screwdriver in your pocket? NONONONONONONO! Think how it will stab you when you fall on it.

The other big no-no is putting a coil of cable round your neck. When you fall off a ladder one day, and it catches on something, you will hang youself. Everybody know this, yet every year it happens.

Screwdriver in your pocket? NONONONONONONO! Think how it will stab you when you fall on it.

If i fall, the possibility of a screwdriver stabbing me would probably be the least of my worries....

So your a tool belt user?

depends what im doin. usually cutters, flat and pozi in pocket. for other jobs where i need more stuff i use a small bucket. also comes in useful for throwin all the ****e in to keep mess down

Sponsored Links
The bucket idea - I actually accumulate those 5litre plastic tubs that emulsion paint comes in - the paint washes out with water, longish tools like screwdrivers sit in with their handles facing up, and things don't easily fall out like from an open toolbox.

I keep quite a few handy, you can put odds and ends in suitable for different jobs you may have on the go. You can also mix up a bit of sand and cement or plaster in them for patching up. Very stable to carry up a ladder or hoist/lower by the handle.

You might not have believed me about the pockets - I'm quite clumsy myself, but if a 14stone man misses his footing and lands on the floor (no heights involved) a driver blade can make a serious wound. Worse than if you stabbed someone with it.

snickers tool vest is just the ticket it has four pouches for tools clips and any other crap you might want and you can geta belt for carrying extra pouches if needed. also has pen/pencil holders, phone pocket and other orifices, not cheap though mine cost about 45 quid

cross said:
If i fall, the possibility of a screwdriver stabbing me would probably be the least of my worries....
This just demonstrates that you're not very accomplished at worrying.

If you fall then you might break bones, which mend, whereas a punctured organ generally limits the number of minutes of your life left without surgery.

Best to avoid falling on the top end (aka "head") of your body too ;)

This just demonstrates that you're not very accomplished at worrying.

Lol, that is very true...

Anyway, i bought myself a nice leather tool pouch and belt yesterday. All is well.

Please use purpose designed accessories for carrying and stowing tools when working at height.

do not forget the essential tool all good tradesmen and women should not be without a nice hammer capable of light taps to fine faults and to completely mash the hell out of the difficult jobs

What's a fine fault, and why would I want to tap one?

Do any of you who wear toolbelts ever get sore hips or a sore back from carrying the extra weight on your hip all the time? i noticed even carrying only pliers and 2 or 3 screwdrivers in my pouch gives me a sore hip after a short while. But if i carry the same tools in my short pockets i dont get that pain, it might be something to do with the way the pouch is sitting on the hip.

Any thoughts....

Thanks,

Cross.

cross said:
Do any of you who wear toolbelts ever get sore hips or a sore back from carrying the extra weight on your hip all the time? i noticed even carrying only pliers and 2 or 3 screwdrivers in my pouch gives me a sore hip after a short while. But if i carry the same tools in my short pockets i dont get that pain, it might be something to do with the way the pouch is sitting on the hip.

Any thoughts....

Thanks,

Cross.

Yes, Vaselene!!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back